Site Maintenance this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Maintenance this weekend

The recent security and functionality patches will be going live Sunday morning. Might be some short service interruptions and performance implications (also as testing the process occurs prior to that this weekend).

Sorry for any inconvenience. Should be the last software changes for a while, but due to some recent vulnerabilities discovered in vBulletin (world wide) we have to act. (vBulletin published these updates, these aren't our modifications.)

Notable changes (other than all the tech fixes) are Message Center got revamped a bit and the login box looks different.

Cheers
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Thanks Dale & Paco!

Comment

• Oddity
      Oddity commented
      Editing a comment
      It's our pleasure. I'm doing very little, to be honest. I'm basically holding a flashlight over Paco's shoulder as he works. Not much in the front end changing its all backend stuff.

Really appreciate your diligence!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Thanks for your hard work!

Comment

Test post after patch
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

We think we're done. We are updated to the latest version of vBulletin. There is not a lot that you should see different, except a few errors should disappear that moderators were seeing. This was largely a maintenance upgrade to fix a major security issue. The good news is that we are now on the very latest, supported version of vBulletin. Future upgrades should go more smoothly. I have a couple of performance upgrades planned in the near future. They shouldn't be that visible except to just make it faster. (FamousLastWords™ )

Comment

Wow, this changeover has been so labor-intensive for the two of you. Congratulations on being able to upgrade to the latest, fully supported version of vBulletin. Thank you for giving this place a new lease on life.
            MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

• OldGrumpyDad
              OldGrumpyDad commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m glad we did what we did when we did. The site had been trundling along for a long time. But this latest security thing would have wrecked the old site. There were no patches for that release. People who still run old sites like that are probably in a world of trouble right now.

Thanks! Full credit for the technical heavy lifting goes to OldGrumpyDad. This place might not have the traffic it once did but it's still an important resource that helps lots of people. Entirely worth the time and energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
              Thanks! Full credit for the technical heavy lifting goes to OldGrumpyDad. This place might not have the traffic it once did but it's still an important resource that helps lots of people. Entirely worth the time and energy.
              I periodically make suggestions on FB groups to direct people here, especially those with technical or medial questions, but it seems people who use FaceBook are loathe to leave it. They think one stop should suit all even when it does not. But then, I recognize that the platform is addictive.

Comment

About half the time, when I log in I get a pop up window that says Invalid Server Response Please Try Again. If I reload the page, I'm likely to get messages in Since Last Visit list that are 24 hours old. If I try yet again, things usually work fine. I am probably not the only person seeing this but I haven't seen it mentioned.

Comment

• Oddity
                  Oddity commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks will check on this. I use Remember Me cookie so I'm always logged in when I open CC so I never see this. The since last visit thing is quirky. It's based on session timer which is set at like 3600 seconds right now. It doesn't have a 24 limit or anything.

• endo_aftermath
                  endo_aftermath commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I should have been more clear. I use the Remember Me cookie also so rather than starting my post as when I log in, it's really just when I launch the application. It is not a big problem. When I opened CareCure just now it worked fine.

• Oddity
                  Oddity commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've been able to recreate this issue. It's related to when the server goes away and a session/login is active. We haven't had many instances of this recently but it has happened more often in the past. Especially over night when performance heavy activities like backups and maintenance jobs run. If your browser session is still open when this happens the next time you come back it will pop the Invalid Server Response error. It hasn't happened in a while though.

Originally posted by Tetracyclone View Post

I periodically make suggestions on FB groups to direct people here, especially those with technical or medial questions, but it seems people who use FaceBook are loathe to leave it. They think one stop should suit all even when it does not. But then, I recognize that the platform is addictive.
                It's a shame because they don't get the expert medical advice we get here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetracyclone View Post

No reason that they can't do both. I also frequently direct people from the FB page to this site for health-related questions. I don't think it is appropriate for the SCI-Nurses, who Wise recruited to be moderators here, to be doing this on FB, which has much less privacy, and doesn't share the information there with our members on this site.

(KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

No reason that they can't do both. I also frequently direct people from the FB page to this site for health-related questions. I don't think it is appropriate for the SCI-Nurses, who Wise recruited to be moderators here, to be doing this on FB, which has much less privacy, and doesn't share the information there with our members on this site.

(KLD)
                    Of course they could do both... they just don't.

Comment

Working...
                    X