Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do we stop the Notifications showing up. I've turned off everything in the settinge and still get notifications for subjects I have no interest in seeing. About ready to dump CC altogether

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
      How do we stop the Notifications showing up. I've turned off everything in the settinge and still get notifications for subjects I have no interest in seeing.
      Same here. Grumpy and Oddity were able to turn off all but 100 of the 350 threads I was getting notifications about, but I don't want to receive notifications at all (except for pm's and email from admins). Like you, I've turned notifications off in my settings - but they keep coming.
      MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
        How do we stop the Notifications showing up. I've turned off everything in the settinge and still get notifications for subjects I have no interest in seeing. About ready to dump CC altogether
        Here is what is happening:

The old site, for a while after the V4 upgrade, automatically subscribed you to threads you participated in. This is an option in user profile account settings to disable. The old site's notification system was also broken, so we never saw the notifications we were supposed to.

OldGrumpyDad and I fixed all the broken things about the old site including notifications. Now, you're getting notifications for those threads. You can see your subscriptions in your profile. You can also unsubscribe from there by ticking a check box. I had ~400 subscriptions and it took me ~15 minutes of checking the box and unsubscribing from those threads to stop update notifications from coming in.

That is how to stop them.

If that seems like too much to ask, and something as relatively innocuous as a fixed notification system is a deal breaker for you, then I don't really know what to say. especially considering how much effort it took to rescue this site (which was months away from just disappearing all together.) I'd ask for a little more patience and understanding. I'd really appreciate it, actually.
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
          You can see your subscriptions in your profile. You can also unsubscribe from there by ticking a check box. I had ~400 subscriptions and it took me ~15 minutes of checking the box and unsubscribing from those threads to stop update notifications from coming in.

That is how to stop them.
          Thank you, Oddity, that worked.

Patrick, go to your profile and click on Subscriptions (below your avatar picture - not on your notifications settings page). Pages of threads you're subscribed to will appear. Next to each thread title, you'll see a button with a check mark and the word "subscribed". When you hover over that button, you'll see the word "unsubscribe." Click on that. Within a second or two, the button will reappear with a plus sign next to it, and the word "subscribe".

It's a little confusing, because in some forum software, a plus sign and a check mark mean the same thing; here, the check mark means that a function is activated, and the plus sign indicates that the function is inactive (and you'll have to add it, if you want it). The word on the button will change from "subscribed" (with a check mark) to "subscribe" with a plus sign. Only the tense of the word (from "subscribed" to "subscribe") will change on the button - the word "unsubscribe" only appears when you hover over the button of a subscribed thread.

In my case, there were bundles or packets of pages that had to be unsubscribed. The number of subscriptions will not change in real time - you have to leave the subscriptions page, and then come back to it, to see the numbers change. I needed to repeat this process three or four times, and eventually the subscription number read zero.

It's astonishing, how badly the old software was broken. I am very grateful to Oddity and Grumpy for fixing it - no doubt it will be a work in progress for some time to come, as more of the old dysfunctions come to light.

Last edited by Bonnette; 05-10-2020, 03:53 PM. Reason: remove a repeated word

Comment

Thanks Bonnette, and also for that detailed description. Vbulletin is kinda quirky at times and we're definitely making progress ironing some of it out. Cheers, Dale
            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

• OldGrumpyDad
              OldGrumpyDad commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe we can find a database query to mass unsubscribe people from old posts. Possibly even look for anyone subscribed to > 30 posts or something and proactively unsubscribe or something. Making everyone spend 15 minutes (especially our long-term members) unticking a bunch of boxes sounds like something a computer would do better.

LOL, I edited my post because I'd repeated a word in the same sentence, and the software flagged me as a spammer! Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Comment

Lol! I approved the post again. We have the spam filters set pretty tight because we only have a couple moderators right now. I'll widen the edit window for spam a bit more. Sorry about that.

Comment

I must have to sign in each time to read the new posts. Otherwise I get: Your criteria is not restrictive enough and might return too many results. Please restrict your criteria and try again.

Thought we used to be able to view them without signing in.

Comment

• Oddity
                  Oddity commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, in vBulletin 5 you have to be logged in, because what is new for you might not be new for someone else. It's not just a running list of everything anymore. It's relative to each user.
                  Last edited by Oddity; 05-10-2020, 06:08 PM.

Lol! I approved the post again. We have the spam filters set pretty tight because we only have a couple moderators right now. I'll widen the edit window for spam a bit more. Sorry about that.
                No problem, Dale! Tight filters against spam are good. Thanks for approving my edit.

Comment

• Oddity
                  Oddity commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mods get a notification when there is a post in need of approving so we can usually respond very quickly. There was a time Pre-upgrade when a team of ~a dozen mods did nothing but delete and move spam non-stop. Now, we're catching most at registration (thanks to Jim paying out of pocket for some spam decent filter software) and those who get past that step still need approval by Jim before posting, and those who get past that get stopped by content filters. We probably don't need so strict post content filters with all the other mitigations in place, really. I'll look at tuning them a bit because there are false positives a few times a week.

The big thing being trapped are duplicate text, lots of hyperlinks, and big walls of text that aren't formatted well. I'm afraid some of our Dragon users are being caught by that last filter, the big walls of unformatted text, but we've been quick to approve things so far. Doesn't happen that often, thankfully.

... You can see your subscriptions in your profile. You can also unsubscribe from there by ticking a check box. I had ~400 subscriptions and it took me ~15 minutes of checking the box and unsubscribing from those threads to stop update notifications from coming in.
                That is how to stop them...
                Thank you, I had 1077 subscriptions. Once I got through the first 400 it seemed to speed up and get faster and easier.

I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

• Oddity
                  Oddity commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow that's a lot.I wish there was a way I could batch unsubscribe stuff for folks who want that. I could probably work that out manipulating the database from the backend but the level of effort and risk associated with something like that is really high.

I looked for a select all box. I bet others have way more subs than I did. BTW tonight it seems after doing this I am getting much faster response times, or Grumpy cleared out another glitch.
                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

• OldGrumpyDad
                  OldGrumpyDad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think I did clear one more glitch. This vBulletin stuff is voodoo, man. Rule of thumb in database-driven software (like this): stay the hell away from the database. I found one more way to put stuff into files instead of into the database and it has made a huge difference in terms of responsiveness. "time to first byte" (which is how long it takes after you click before something shows up on your screen) has dropped significantly. I was seeing 3 seconds, now I'm seeing 1 second most of the time.

That seemed to do the trick guys. No notifications in two days. Great job and sure appreciate what you do.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to do that, Patrick. I know it was kind of a pain but it's reliable. I'm working on a batch behind the scenes process to make "unsubscribe all" possible so it doesn't take such a tedious effort in the future. For anyone who just doesn't want to go through the manual unsubscribe process I should have something ready by the end of the week. There is always a risk of breaking something when going at the data fom the backend, especially since I'm not super well versed in how all the data is stored and manipulated by the software. Making progress though, and if I get it tested thoroughly enough it should be fine. I'll keep everyone updated.

Comment

Please don't unsubscribe me from any of my posts!! I love it when a several year old topic is revisited and I get to check it out. It doesn't happen often, but often it is a treat!
                    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                    NW NJ

Comment

• Oddity
                      Oddity commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I can't tell if you're serious or being sarcastic. Help me out. Regardless, I only intend to unsubscribe folks who ask. Assuming I can get it working without breaking anything else, and assuming they don't just want to do it themselves via the user interface, since it's easy and only takes a few minutes, and they don't want to wait around for me to get it built and tested. I'm just trying to develop another option for folks with 1,000s of legacy subscriptions, really. I did my 400 manually in ~10 minutes give or take.

I'm serious. I spent a lot of time recently paging back through my history (25pgs) trying to bring forward something and couldn't find it. If someone had posted onto that (old) conversation I would really want to know!
                    Most of the conversations I'm thinking of are regarding fabricating or building, problem solving crip mobility issues, etc.
                    It sucks that stuff I'm a poster on doesn't show up in "New Posts" and I have to dig it out of private messages which are glacial! LIKE THIS ONE!
                    Don't be put off by me-you're doing a great service!!
                    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                    NW NJ

Comment

• Oddity
                      Oddity commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hmmm. Not understanding why you can't see stuff in New Posts unless you've looked at it already using Message Center. Like, this thread was at the top of my New Posts list after you added your most recent response. So, you should be able to see posts that are new to threads you've posted in too. I'd really like to understand what's going on, like what exact steps you're taking to read stuff, so I can either help by giving you other options or fix something if there is a bug somewhere.

• nonoise
                      nonoise commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nuts, I thought I had found a way to keep posts/threads from vanishing.
                      Last edited by nonoise; 05-11-2020, 11:41 PM.

• Oddity
                      Oddity commented
                      Editing a comment
                      FYI: All your posting activity is on the main page of your profile. Upper right hand corner, click on your name, and you'll be presented with a list of your posts. Response time is pretty good too.
                      Last edited by Oddity; 05-13-2020, 06:20 PM.
                  Working...
                  X