No announcement yet.

vBulletin does not recognize special characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After more research and experiments, I participate in a number of forum communities, some that also use vBulletin, and I?m only experiencing character encoding issues here. Hmmmmmmmmm....
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Open some older threads and look at how symbols and/or letters have been corrupted over time. They weren't typed like this originally: https://www.carecure.net/forum/showt...ht=open+letter
      Attached Files

Comment

Seem's it's finally been fixed.

'
        "

An iOS update came out yesterday but I haven't installed it yet, so something else changed.

YAY!

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
        After more research and experiments, I participate in a number of forum communities, some that also use vBulletin, and I?m only experiencing character encoding issues here. Hmmmmmmmmm....
        -/:;()$&@?.,!?[]{}#%^*+=_\|~<>????.,!?

Thats every special character from a standard iOS 11.2 English keyboard, except question mark, in order they appear on the keyboard.

So, most ones not parsing correctly are above ascii 127, so encoding may not be set right on web server or html config files or database server.

My vote is database since the encoding error doesn?t occur until the text is inserted and then fetched again. Was it switched from UTF recently to save space?

But I dunno. It is silly though.

Odd that I can edit the special characters back into the post, that the error only occurs on initial insert, not subsequent updates. That’s a big clue right there!!! (I just edited the apostrophe s on that sentence and it is fine)
        Last edited by Oddity; 11 Jan 2018, 10:42 AM.
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

'"????

Well, quotes and apostrophes are fixed, at least!

Comment

This version of vBulletin is outdated and unsupported. When we move the site to their cloud and pay them a monthly fee, they will upgrade us to the newest version. I have been out of work for a month. When I return next week, Steven and I will begin planning the transition.

Comment

Working...
            X