Help, I Can't Post!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, I Can't Post!

I haven't had any problems posting until recently. When I try to submit a reply, a little box comes up from CC. It says my post is too short and to add more characters. Has to be longer than 3 characters??? I never answer in only 3 characters LOL. Could somebody please figure this out for me??

Now I'll see if I can even send this!

K9
    Ban the DEED,Not the BREED!

OK, I can start a thread, but I can't reply?

Thanks ahead of time

Comment

Check your computer for virus!

Comment

Originally posted by willingtocope View Post
        Check your computer for virus!

Hey,
        Thanks for your answer. No viruses. I think the hard drive is dying.
        That's why I'm using my phone now That
        wouldn't have anything to do with the message I
        kept getting, would it?

Comment

I don't think a dying hard drive would be watching your keystrokes...but...a virus or malware may look like your hard drive is failing. What virus checker do you have? Is it up to date?

Comment

[QUOTE=willingtocope;1727827]I don't think a dying hard drive would be watching your keystrokes...but...a virus or malware may look like your hard drive is failing. What virus checker do you have? Is it up to date?[/QUOT

I have what ever comes with windows. Also tried AVG and Trend Micro, not sure of the name on the last one.
            This is driving me crazy. Not a good time for the old thing to die. But, it's never a good time when things die on you

Can you reccomend a good virus/malware remover that is free?

Comment

What version of windows? What browser are you using? (Microsoft Windows Defender is free...but it doesn't come with all versions).

AVG is probably the best of the freebies.

Comment

Windows7 Can't remember if it's called defender, or something else. I would look, but I've been trying to get it to boot for hours...no luck. If it decides to cooperate, I'll check what it is.

In the meantime, I think I should go pout!

Comment

Win 7 does install Defender automatically. Probably as good a virus checker as most.

Seems to me that Win 7 has some built in "safe boot", "troubleshooting" features. Have you tried those?

Comment

Win 7 does install Defender automatically. Probably as good a virus checker as most.

Seems to me that Win 7 has some built in "safe boot", "troubleshooting" features. Have you tried those?
                    Finally got it going this morning. Quite a few times, but
                    it never lasted long.

I do have defender. I did
                    all sorts of trouble shooting, but
                    never saw anything about booting
                    repair.

I forgot, you asked about the
                    browser. Prefer chrome, but
                    went to firefox because chrome was
                    freezing. Firefox started doing the same.
                    Went to ie and same thing after a
                    couple weeks. Now using opera and it's the
                    one with less trouble.

Comment

Well, if 3 different browsers are freezing on you, you've got a virus (or malware). I caught a "keystroke logger" from a very reputable web site on this machine. It was running Windows Vista and I was using IE 9. The virus was watching what I typed and sending it to a hacker...which caused web site access to slow way, way down.

I had to upgrade this thing to Windows 8.1 to get rid of it. As Jerry Pournelle says, I scrubbed it down to "bare metal" and installed from scratch.

Comment

BTW...when you first turn your machine on, you should see a message like "Press F8 to boot in safe mode"...try that.

Comment

And...according to PC Magazine anyway...the best free virus checker is www.Malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Comment

And...according to PC Magazine anyway...the best free virus checker is www.Malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/
                            Thought that I would give you an update since you were very helpful in giving me a lot of good ideas to try. Malwarebytes didn't find anything either. Computer just kept freezing at different places in the process.

I also have Reimage, but it kept hanging up in the repair process. When I ran it in safe mode, it almost finished, but stopped when replacing old windows files with fresh ones.
                            Now it has probably taken its' last breath!
                            I keep trying to get it to keep going, but it's pretty much a lost cause.

Thank you so much for trying to help me, I really appreciate everything.

Comment

Working...
                            X