Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about previous vs new functions (usercp, today's posts, commenting)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about previous vs new functions (usercp, today's posts, commenting)

Ok, so I've already asked these questions but not gotten functional answers yet... And there may have been functional answers to them elsewhere that I haven't seen, but thats part of my problem is how much I'm struggling to find the things I need and used to use.

As I mentioned before, the 2 ways I've always viewed the forum was going to usercp to view threads I'd posted in and see what had been updated. After that, I would click on the quick links today's posts to see all topics that had been updated in the past 24 hours. (it may have been titled something slightly different, but thats what its called on another VB forum I'm on that has not updated to vb5)

I've been told that I can still access usercp by clicking on my name at the top right and then my profile. Doing this can give me "activities" and "subscribed." Viewing activities I can see threads I've posted in, but it shows my post in said topic and there is no way to know which (if any) of said threads have been updated since my last post or view. Usercp showed threads that had been updated since the last post or view at the very top of the list in bold. I'm not interested in clicking on every post I've made to check if the threads have been updated, and in the case where a thread has been updated months (or even years) since my post there would be no way for me to know through this activities option.

Subscribed seems to work the same as "my subscriptions." Some of the results here are threads I've never read or posted in, I believe this is because someone who is on my friends list for the forum has posted in them? I'm not necessarily interested in reading every thread that everyone off my friends list has posted in. Same issue as before, where I cannot seem to find any way to determine which threads have been updated since I last viewed or posted in them.

Next up is that I was told to go to the main forums page and click on new topics or latest activity. With both options I do not seem to get an entire list that includes all of the threads that have been posted or updated in the previous 24 hours. I know this because what I've been trying is to try both options when I first arrive at the site, but then if I start viewing sections of the forum individually I find lots of threads that have been made or updated in the past 24 hours that did not show up on the list for me. Another issue is when I click on threads from latest activity, I am unable to hit the back button on the browser and return to the list. Instead clicking back takes me to the main forum page, so I have to open posts from latest activity by right clicking and opening in a new tab. Which I can forget to do. Then I click on latest activity again, and get a blank list... Member Oddity mentioned in a thread that something is filtered by stuff that is new since your last visit? I mentioned that might be causing problems, as I technically never leave the site. I leave the tab open in my browser and move on to other tabs when I'm not viewing the site. Every now and then when I restart my laptop chrome is closed, and then when reopened I select to reopen the same tabs I had. As I'm typing this post I'm checking the functions I'm discussing, but currently clicking on latest activity gives me that blank list so to be honest the issue with being unable to use my browser back function may have since been fixed.

What I'm looking for is if there are functions available that will work the SAME way as the functions I previously used to view the site (and which are actually the same functions I use to view every forum I'm on) or if these functions are supposed to be redone at some point in the future. If they're going to be restored and it will just take time thats ok and I can deal in the interim. I guess less posts during this change is an upside in that I have more time to find what I want to read since there's less to read lol.

This part is my personal opinion and commentary/concern. I also do not like the comment function, since comments are done on initial posts and not added on to the end of the thread like a quote, there's no way to know that comments have been added to a thread. I have noticed when there are comments on MY posts I get a notification, but for example if someone has answered the questions I'm asking right here in a comment on someone else's post... I haven't seen it because even if I've posted in that thread and was interested in what was being discussed in comments, there's no way for me to know to scroll back to check for new comments. Is it always going to be that way? There are many off-original-topic conversations in threads that I can be very interested in without participating (in this case, commenting) myself. I came to this forum to learn, have learned loads and hopefully helped others by sharing information I've gained, but I'm really saddened at the possibility of missing so much stuff that might occur in comments as opposed to the traditional quote in reply. I mostly read and post in the equipment section, but I've read things in sections I'm not active in (found through today's posts) that was able to assist me in my issues, or help me understand others here on the forum as well as friends with SCI. I already mentioned I disliked the comment feature because it causes issues in the time-line of replies, where comments could have been posted before or after posts further in the thread. I personally feel that could become very confusing as everything is no longer linear but possibly branching off in all directions. I personally feel I cannot be alone in these concerns (I've noticed at least one other member mention it) and there may be much valid and educational material added in comments as opposed to quotes that will be missed by those following a thread. Those reading a thread after the fact (such as finding with the search function) will have the benefit of not missing comments, but may be confused by placement in the time line. Say for example a piece of incorrect information was given by a forum member. Then that piece of information is corrected in a comment to the post much later. Those following the thread may not know that the information was incorrect, as they did not go back and re-read the entire thread when following new posts. In the same example, say then that the incorrect information was corrected in comment, later debated outside of comment and maybe updated with some new discovery. Someone who comes across the post during research may be unable to determine which is the most up to date and correct answer.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

We get it Lin. I can't do most of my mod tasks yet either. I used to use the most recent posts off the home page and that now shows all of 3 threads. I'm willing to give Steven all the time he needs so we are properly archived and links to older posts work first as we'll as mod tools. And thanks for the flag earlier. Another area that needs fixed. Just stay patient and report any new problems you see. Right now I think we may be stuck with comments until the database is completely tied together. Once we have a fully working site there will be time to discuss keeping or kicking those and I'd vote kick. Steven would then need to move the comments into the quoted replies areas in order. Argh!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Adjusting to anything new and different is always difficult. The reality is that the old site was broken beyond repair, and we risked loosing the whole site to the hordes of spammers that we saw daily in huge numbers. While the new site is not perfect (yet), it is so refreshing to not have to spend hours daily dealing with spam...removing posts, banning spammers, etc. etc. etc.!!!!!

Frankly, I like the Comments feature, and found the old way of having to quote to make it clear who you were addressing confusing, time consuming, and adding to the need to do a lot of scrolling back and forth within a thread.

I also miss the "Most Recent Posts" feature. Not sure if we will ever have that back, but I do find it fairly easy to scan through the Forums page, scrolling down to see where there are new posts by checking for the highlighted topics, then clicking on the little blue rectangle on the far right (next to the most recent poster's name) to go to the end of the thread/topic for the most recent posts. Yes, it takes a little more time than the previous method, but the site is still a work in progress, and Dr. Young says we have a list of priorities for fixes that include making it easier to find recent posts. We need to give Steven the time to get this done.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I love the Comment feature. Keeps the threads and responses way more topical to specific responses and helps organize the threads much better, IMO. A date sorted list of responses, some to OP some to other replies some specific between users, etc had no conversational continuity. Also, the New Topics results refresh if you sit idle on the page for a while. I did for an hour and it refreshed with new stuff. 5 minutes, though, it did not. And, I'm still using THIS rolling 24 hour search results saved as a bookmark, too, which works very much like Most Recent Posts did. Since it's a search, sort order and other parameters are also available, to tailor it somewhat.
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Something else I noticed is that when using the Latest Activity sort it option puts every response, (quotes, comments and replies), in the old style. e.g. comments are just another reply in the order they were drafted.
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

how do we get our sig working. I click save after chk marking sigs and nothing
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com
            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Hate the comment feature. Agree with Lin, that you have to basically re-read the entire thread every time you read it to see if someone added a comment to an older response. WIth long threads, that is onerous. Could you fathom the Vetricyn thread with comments??

Perhaps we should have had more than one person working on this upgrade. It seems clear in retrospect that this is too much task for one person (as marvelous as he is, and I'm not being sarcastic, I mean that sincerely, I realize he is volunteering his time).
              Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Thanks guys. I understand things take time, but I haven't gotten an answer yet about if the usercp function and today's posts is going to come back at all, thats why I'm asking again. If someone told me they would be coming back its just there are more important things to deal with first I totally get that. But I haven't been told they're coming back, and haven't been told a working substitute (which may very well be around already that I haven't found) yet. Thats why I wanted to ask again where my questions can't get lost since there IS so much going on right now. And I wanted to be able to detail the reasons why what has been suggested hasn't worked.

There are many little things that are annoying. Like having to click that little blue button and go straight to the last post instead of automatically going to the last viewed spot. The current color scheme which is too bright. Not being able to find things in searches. I get that those are things that are minor and will be dealt with in proper order. The ones in my OP here though are the big issues to me, which make it very difficult for me to use the site and I really hate that I am/could be missing posts I'd like to read. So that's why I'm really hoping to get an answer, to be told those functions will eventually come back. Or to be told they exist in a new way (same function in new way, as opposed to different function in somewhat similar but very different way like the problems I've run into).

I think part of my frustration with vb5 may be due to another forum I'm on that was bought out by vb and yet is not using vb5, and so still able to operate there the same ways I had here and can't help but wonder if the newest version is the best why they aren't using it themselves on the forums they own and operate.

The specific comment function though is something I feel is detrimental. Maybe once the site is running smoothly and the majority of the membership is back to posting there could be a poll on it? Since I was going into detail with my questions, and doing so where I knew they'd be seen and addressed, I figured it was a good time to explain in some detail what my concerns are on that issue.

fuentes: I think we can't have sigs at all yet? Same with avatars, I believe its one of the things on the list/in the works. To restore previous sigs and avatars. I know they said nothing was lost, all the sigs and avatars are still around in backups its just they haven't been applied to the new site yet.
                Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

zillazangel, this isn't a manpower issue, the new vBulletin software is a disaster and their technical support has been horrible.

Lin, please be patient, we are aware of your concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin
                    Thanks guys. I understand things take time, but I haven't gotten an answer yet about if the usercp function and today's posts is going to come back at all, thats why I'm asking again. If someone told me they would be coming back its just there are more important things to deal with first I totally get that. But I haven't been told they're coming back, and haven't been told a working substitute (which may very well be around already that I haven't found) yet. Thats why I wanted to ask again where my questions can't get lost since there IS so much going on right now. And I wanted to be able to detail the reasons why what has been suggested hasn't worked.
                    No idea on usercp, but the link I put in my previous response recreates the "today's post" list just fine. What does it not do that you want of a rolling 24hour list of updated and new topics?
                    There are many little things that are annoying. Like having to click that little blue button and go straight to the last post instead of automatically going to the last viewed spot. The current color scheme which is too bright. Not being able to find things in searches. I get that those are things that are minor and will be dealt with in proper order. The ones in my OP here though are the big issues to me, which make it very difficult for me to use the site and I really hate that I am/could be missing posts I'd like to read. So that's why I'm really hoping to get an answer, to be told those functions will eventually come back. Or to be told they exist in a new way (same function in new way, as opposed to different function in somewhat similar but very different way like the problems I've run into).
                    Clicking on the little blue button is annoying? Why? Even after the genuine bugs are fixed I suspect you will still need to adjust some of your browsing habits. Asking to be told when the vB3 functionality will be recreated, exactly, may well lead to more disappointment, I think. Just a hunch, of course, but that's close to unreasonable, if not so. Change happens.
                    I think part of my frustration with vb5 may be due to another forum I'm on that was bought out by vb and yet is not using vb5, and so still able to operate there the same ways I had here and can't help but wonder if the newest version is the best why they aren't using it themselves on the forums they own and operate.
                    Same thing happened between v3 and v4. When vB was bought out by the company that now owns it, it definitely went down hill. They took a longtime to go to v4. Actually, they bailed on updating v4 before all the bugs were addressed and went right to releasing v5. Not the best company to buy into, IMO, but here we are.
                    The specific comment function though is something I feel is detrimental. Maybe once the site is running smoothly and the majority of the membership is back to posting there could be a poll on it? Since I was going into detail with my questions, and doing so where I knew they'd be seen and addressed, I figured it was a good time to explain in some detail what my concerns are on that issue.
                    This is a simple training/knowledge issue, IMO. Comment vs Reply gives the user more control over the visibility of their contribution to the thread. Not everyone makes topical replies all the time, and not everyone wants their feedback to a specific poster to "bump" the thread for the world. I really like being able to slip a semi-private comment into a thread, especially when I have nothing to add to the thread topic, but feel compelled to respond to an aspect of another reply to a specific user without the hassle of going through the PM motions. As far as re-reading is concerned, you have to bounce around a thread a lot to make sense of the multiple trains of thought that inevitably come about in long topics that are not sorted by anything other than update date. BUT, if that sort of list is what you want, it is provided for in the "Latest Activity" sort. Also called "Stream view" in user settings. That puts all responses in order they were made, including comments.
                    fuentes: I think we can't have sigs at all yet? Same with avatars, I believe its one of the things on the list/in the works. To restore previous sigs and avatars. I know they said nothing was lost, all the sigs and avatars are still around in backups its just they haven't been applied to the new site yet.
                    We definitely don't see sigs in posts, yet, but they are under the little icon of a fountain pen in the user box to the left of the posts. Definitely not gone, or lost.

Comment

sigs no workie yet. not at all
                      Bike-on.com rep
                      John@bike-on.com
                      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I see your sig. It says John@bikeon.com. I see Jim's, too. SCI net member info, etc. they are just in a new place, not embedded in every post.

Comment

Working...
                        X