fyi: Münchausen by Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JenJen View Post
    I might disagree with you here. It's still VERY harmful as you see played out when these things are discovered. Community members give a lot of themselves to the deceivers; for some it is energy they can barely afford to give. I think the deceivers are not as invested so they cannot understand the pain and destruction they leave in their wake. They just move on to the next lie. They are just as sick as those who do it IRL, IMO.
    And it saddens me that these situations can hurt the very people who need help the most, as once deceived once, some people are less apt to offer help in the future. So not only are community members feeling betrayed, they become less willing to believe other new members.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Perfect example.
      ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Oh I agree, it is still harmful. All I meant was - Munchausen by Proxy people often actually physically injure their children. I do see that as worse. It's all bad though.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Français View Post
          Yes, it's called a penis (a closeted joke).

OMG I finally got one LOL!!!! A joke that is not a penis
          T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

I think it's worse, too. People using the Internet know in the back of their minds no matter how close they become to someone via the Internet, the other person could be full of BS. So I don't think people give their whole to others they haven't met, or talked with extensively on the telephone. Sure, it's harmful, but I think we're all aware that the possibility for deception is huge when we interact only by text.
            Originally posted by TAM63 View Post
            Oh I agree, it is still harmful. All I meant was - Munchausen by Proxy people often actually physically injure their children. I do see that as worse. It's all bad though.
            Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
            Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Tam, I think the piece that you're missing here is that while no child is harmed as a target, the audience is. All those people that buy in and become invested are harmed. There is absolutely nothing harmless about this type of hoax. But, like you, I'm glad that as sick as these people are, they are not causing physical harm to children.
              My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Oh, I'm not missing it at all - I completely agree with you about the emotional harm to the audience. I've been burned on the net before, even by this one somewhat. And I agree with all of the points people have made about the ways it can cause harm. I don't discount any of that.

I just think physical harm of a child is worse. That's all. RDF said it perfectly.

Comment

No one is disagreeing with you about children Tam.
                  T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

I've been trying to remember the name of this movie since this thread started. Eureka!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nig...ner_%28film%29
                    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

I've been trying to remember the name of this movie since this thread started. Eureka!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nig...ner_%28film%29
                      Good movie, and apropos to this discussion.

Comment

I might disagree with you here. It's still VERY harmful as you see played out when these things are discovered. Community members give a lot of themselves to the deceivers; for some it is energy they can barely afford to give. I think the deceivers are not as invested so they cannot understand the pain and destruction they leave in their wake. They just move on to the next lie. They are just as sick as those who do it IRL, IMO.
                        I think a lot of the people posting in the "Truth" thread demonstrate just how hurtful this can be and how right you are here Jen.
                        T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by rdf View Post
                          I think it's worse, too. People using the Internet know in the back of their minds no matter how close they become to someone via the Internet, the other person could be full of BS. So I don't think people give their whole to others they haven't met, or talked with extensively on the telephone. Sure, it's harmful, but I think we're all aware that the possibility for deception is huge when we interact only by text.
                          Apparently some of us did not know that, or were trusting to the point of absurdity. Me, I am talking about......I assumed someone here was exactly as he said he was, and I grew to care about him, worry about him, and made efforts to send him cards on a regular basis. Now I find out this is maybe all a hoax. The sad part, beyond the horrible sadness I am feeling in general, is wondering if I will ever bother myself again to care that much.

Comment

Originally posted by betheny View Post
                            Todd, fret not, my son. Teh Ghey is curable. I saw it on the 700 Club!
                            I though I was going to say something clever to le todd's post, but you made me forget what I was going to say.

Comment

Originally posted by RehabRhino View Post
                              Knightrider is not the guy - this is why we need to be careful if things like this happen.

I know KR in person. He rarely posts because he's too busy with his real and hot girlfriend.
                              Darklighter, sorry, that dude who pretended to o.d and it was Bs. and he pretended to be his girlfriend breaking the news of his death.
                              Last edited by jody; 24 Mar 2010, 10:23 PM. Reason: corrected name

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                                Apparently some of us did not know that, or were trusting to the point of absurdity. Me, I am talking about......I assumed someone here was exactly as he said he was, and I grew to care about him, worry about him, and made efforts to send him cards on a regular basis. Now I find out this is maybe all a hoax. The sad part, beyond the horrible sadness I am feeling in general, is wondering if I will ever bother myself again to care that much.
                                Eileen: I am so sorry and my heart breaks for your very kind and hurting heart. I do hope that you do not let this one incidence keep you from caring ever again. Many here value you as a friend.
                                Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Working...
                                X