Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Chick for clearing that up
    sigpic

Stay safe my son. See you around thanksgiving!

Comment

Originally posted by betheny View Post
      They are all to be pitied, but not all harmless. I'm still a bit shocked by the parapal incident...where her "boyfriend" went into chat and said I'd killed her of a heart attack by questioning her motives. It's a long story. Needless to say, obituaries were never produced.

And I have no doubt that Munchausen-by-proxy exists online, hopefully it's fake and the posters aren't injuring their obsessions!
      i remember that very well
      cauda equina

Comment

Originally posted by Robynbird569 View Post
        I thought Munchausen by Proxy was when they used their children, and what you described was Hypochondriac. Or is it all one in the same?

I would say the "proxy" here would be by means of the internet.
        “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423 View Post
          I would assume that Münchausen by Proxy by Internet would also exist as well?
          When I said this, I was combining the two definitions that chick gave with what Steven posted, meaning someone using their spouse/child as the "ill" individual they are posting about, as opposed to posting about themselves.

Not sure the term really exists.
          T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423 View Post
            When I said this, I was combining the two definitions that chick gave with what Steven posted, meaning someone using their spouse/child as the "ill" individual they are posting about, as opposed to posting about themselves.

Not sure the term really exists.
            I think there can be overlap of all three, distinct definitions.

Comment

A while back I saw a movie on "lifetime" about a woman who had Munchausen and her 7 year old son was in the hospital and she was bringing in poison to keep him sick as she craved the attention of having a "sick" son. The woman was played by the gal from the old show "Mork and Mindy" Pam Dobson? It actually was a pretty good movie.
              "Life is about how you
              respond to not only the
              challenges you're dealt but
              the challenges you seek...If
              you have no goals, no
              mountains to climb, your
              soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Robynbird569 View Post
                I thought Munchausen by Proxy was when they used their children, and what you described was Hypochondriac. Or is it all one in the same?
                I am not sure, but I think a hypochondriac would believe he or she had whatever, and be absolutely convinced he or she was dying from whatever. Someone who has Munchausen's would pretend for the attention from what I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzie Q View Post
                  I would say the "proxy" here would be by means of the internet.
                  Actually no - Munchausen's is the person pretends they have an illness, Munchausen's by proxy means they pretend someone else has an illness.

Originally posted by bluegreenocean View Post
                  I am not sure, but I think a hypochondriac would believe he or she had whatever, and be absolutely convinced he or she was dying from whatever. Someone who has Munchausen's would pretend for the attention from what I understand.
                  Sounds right to me. Munchausen's patients (or by proxy patients) go so far as to doing things to their (or their proxy's) bodies to actually cause harm, abnormal test results, etc. So they (or their kids etc.) may end up actually being ill.

Comment

Proxy may refer to one who or that which acts on behalf of someone or something else.
                    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

Comment

True.

But the terms "Munchausen Syndrome" and "Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy" are psychiatric disorders - and I believe the definitions I gave are essentially correct.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/806735-overview

Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy

In 1995, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition (DSM-IV) included a definition for factitious disorder by proxy, which is now the accepted psychiatric category for MSBP. The definition includes the following:
                      1. Intentional production or feigning of physical or psychological signs or symptoms in another person who is under the individual's care.
                      2. The motivation for the perpetrator's behavior is to assume the sick role by proxy.
                      3. External incentives for the behavior, such as economic gain, avoiding legal responsibility, or improving physical well-being, are absent.

Comment

I don't think any one is disagreeing with you Tam. I believe the poster was being ironic in stating that a person who made up a story on the internet of being a caregiver and posting stories of that non-existent person's life and death struggles would be Munchausen's Syndrome by Internet by Proxy. Sad to think it can happen.

Originally posted by TAM63 View Post
                        True.

But the terms "Munchausen Syndrome" and "Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy" are psychiatric disorders - and I believe the definitions I gave are essentially correct.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/806735-overview

Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy

In 1995, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition (DSM-IV) included a definition for factitious disorder by proxy, which is now the accepted psychiatric category for MSBP. The definition includes the following:
                        1. Intentional production or feigning of physical or psychological signs or symptoms in another person who is under the individual's care.
                        2. The motivation for the perpetrator's behavior is to assume the sick role by proxy.
                        3. External incentives for the behavior, such as economic gain, avoiding legal responsibility, or improving physical well-being, are absent.
                        My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

OK right, I agree - sorry if I misunderstood.

I agree, it is sad - whatever's going on with people who do that, I suspect something is quite wrong in their life, if that's what they want to devote their time and energy too. It's less harmful than the real thing of course (no one's physically hurt), but certainly hurts people's feelings - and what a waste of energy.

Comment

Originally posted by JenJen View Post
                            I don't think any one is disagreeing with you Tam. I believe the poster was being ironic in stating that a person who made up a story on the internet of being a caregiver and posting stories of that non-existent person's life and death struggles would be Munchausen's Syndrome by Internet by Proxy. Sad to think it can happen.
                            Exactly Jen.
                            T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by TAM63 View Post
                              OK right, I agree - sorry if I misunderstood.

I agree, it is sad - whatever's going on with people who do that, I suspect something is quite wrong in their life, if that's what they want to devote their time and energy too. It's less harmful than the real thing of course (no one's physically hurt), but certainly hurts people's feelings - and what a waste of energy.
                              I might disagree with you here. It's still VERY harmful as you see played out when these things are discovered. Community members give a lot of themselves to the deceivers; for some it is energy they can barely afford to give. I think the deceivers are not as invested so they cannot understand the pain and destruction they leave in their wake. They just move on to the next lie. They are just as sick as those who do it IRL, IMO.
                              My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Originally posted by JenJen View Post
                                I might disagree with you here. It's still VERY harmful as you see played out when these things are discovered. Community members give a lot of themselves to the deceivers; for some it is energy they can barely afford to give. I think the deceivers are not as invested so they cannot understand the pain and destruction they leave in their wake. They just move on to the next lie. They are just as sick as those who do it IRL, IMO.
                                I agree. Emotional manipulation and harm is not to be dismissed or discounted in comparison to physical harm.

Comment

Working...
                                X