Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***Alert*** View Wise's or my profile from 0730-1045 Eastern? Change your password

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

***Alert*** View Wise's or my profile from 0730-1045 Eastern? Change your password

A scammer/spammer is trying a new (to me) method of stealing passwords.

If you visited my profile or Wise's profile from 7:30-10:45am Eastern and were asked to enter your login info, please change your password.

Thank you,

Steven
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

XSS attack?

Comment

bummer

Comment

Originally posted by Lazlo View Post
        XSS attack?
        (mods if you don't want the specifics just delete this, I don't care) It was a simile image that returned a 401 HTTP code. Popped up a basic auth box, I didn't fill it in and click it so don't know what it did from there.

Comment

XSS attack?
          t8burst has it right, I think. That or it was javascript piggybacked on a .gif file that mimicked the 401 request.
          ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Tricky stuff!

Comment

What good would it be to them to have a password anyway?

But that goes to show, never enter your password info, if you don;t expect the login box to be there.
              Last edited by sjean423; 24 Feb 2010, 11:00 PM.
              T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423 View Post
                They'd be able to PM your friends with spammy links, generating a higher click-through rate for them. (Because, you know, friends trust you not to send them malevolent content.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Edwards View Post
                  A scammer/spammer is trying a new (to me) method of stealing passwords.

If you visited my profile or Wise's profile from 7:30-10:45am Eastern and were asked to enter your login info, please change your password.

Thank you,

Steven
                  I and the Russians stand by you Steven. We are ready to serve and help.

Comment

They'd be able to PM your friends with spammy links, generating a higher click-through rate for them. (Because, you know, friends trust you not to send them malevolent content.)
                    Seems like an awful lot of trouble to generate traffic.
                    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to generate traffic.
                      They generally use automated tools, so it's all the same amount of effort to them.

Comment

Too much burgers - the Russians maybe

They generally use automated tools, so it's all the same amount of effort to them.

Comment

XSS attack?
                          my first thought also. Admins/Steven, I have a handy link you may be interested in if you plan any regular checking of the boards for xss vulns. PM me if interested.

Comment

But that goes to show, never enter your password info, if you don;t expect the login box to be there.
                            Solid advice about not entering your pword when it seems oddly out of place.

As for what they could do; that kinda depends on who they dupe. Imagine an admin with high level access to the innards of the forums being pwnd. That could lead to some craziness fo sho.

Comment

Working...
                            X