X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lindox View Post
    Did you say something?
    I said search works again!

...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Steven,

Wow. The upgrade has really been worth it. The site is positively snappy in its response to posts from outside of Rutgers and the Rutgers network outside the Center. I think that the increased speed is only partly related to changing the server and was helped by moving the servers out of the Center because there are still delays in the server responses from within the Center.

Wise.
      Last edited by Wise Young; 09-11-2009, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Wise,

I can access the site from within the VPN using its alias (see Admin forum in a sec) and get the same response rates I get outside of it. I'll see what I can find out.

Steven
        ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Edwards View Post
          I said search works again!

Yay!!
          T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

I love the increased speed Steven, thanks buddy. The db seems to be hanging a bit today. Nothing to do with db retrieval and display of records, it's seems more like an apache web server problem.
            Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
            Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Can you offer more details on where/when the hangs occur? (We're running lighttpd, btw... the Apache days are gone.)

Comment

wow. great job steve i hear ya now. fast n accurate...... when you submit a reply it hasn't lost the post causing the person to retype.

thanx,
                josh
                Many Blessings,
                Josh

So we can say with confidence, The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?" Hebrew13:6

Comment

Can you offer more details on where/when the hangs occur? (We're running lighttpd, btw... the Apache days are gone.)
                  I posted a new thread, but it hung up on 'preview post.' It hung up big time, and after 4 minutes, I hit the back button and ran it again. Again, it hung. Did it a third time, and it showed the new thread preview in one second. That same thing has happened in replying to existing threads a couple of times, meaning the preview hanging. Submit reply doesn't have the same problem, and it submits in about one second for me.

Hell, the preview thing could have been on my end.

But besides that, I'm really impressed with the speed. Didn't realize you were running lighttpd these days, it's a great product. Compared to light-tpd, Apache is a bloated dinosaur.
                  Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                  Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rdf View Post
                    I posted a new thread, but it hung up on 'preview post.' It hung up big time, and after 4 minutes, I hit the back button and ran it again. Again, it hung. Did it a third time, and it showed the new thread preview in one second. That same thing has happened in replying to existing threads a couple of times, meaning the preview hanging. Submit reply doesn't have the same problem, and it submits in about one second for me.

Hell, the preview thing could have been on my end.
                    Thanks for the clarification. I haven't experienced that before, so I'm gonna have to think about it.

If it happens again, would you mind looking to see how many users are online? (I may need to increase the concurrent connection limit.)

But besides that, I'm really impressed with the speed. Didn't realize you were running lighttpd these days, it's a great product. Compared to light-tpd, Apache is a bloated dinosaur.
                    Thanks again. We're now running Lighttpd+APC+Memcached, so there's a good bit of caching going on to keep things running smoothly.

Comment

Wise,

I can access the site from within the VPN using its alias (see Admin forum in a sec) and get the same response rates I get outside of it. I'll see what I can find out.

Steven
                      That is interesting. Things have gotten slower and slower within the center, at least during the day, particularly the wireless within the Center. I am not sure why. I noticed the difference because I get much faster acess to CareCure outside the network and when I go over to the Student Center and use their wireless. The slowness of the Center connections are to all servers, not just CareCure.

Wise.

Comment

I didn't mention anything earlier because it had gone away, but I had this same thing in the first couple days of new server:

Occasionally this morning, from ~8-9am Central time, I will click on a forum, or a thread, doesn't matter, and my browser hangs on "Loading 8 of 10 items", or 1 of 2, whatever. It will not come back, I've let it "run" for a few minutes. I then stop the load, refresh, and it comes back immediately. All my other Sites load effortlessly, so don't think it's on my end.

No biggie, just that it reared it's head again.

e.t.a. only 264 users online
                        "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Has it gotten any better today, Wise?

Thanks McDuff. I think I have an idea of what's happening there, but I need a little bit longer to accurately isolate the problem.

Comment

Has it gotten any better today, Wise?

Thanks McDuff. I think I have an idea of what's happening there, but I need a little bit longer to accurately isolate the problem.
                            The wireless at the Center is incredibly slow today. I have been downloading some upgrades to my system (about 300 Mb) and it has taken over 3 hours. That is how bad it is. It is slightly faster when I go directly through ethernet but it still can pause for many minutes. Wise.

Comment

Working...
                            X