Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Austin Texas Open House Info-Saturday, March 14th.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Austin Texas Open House Info-Saturday, March 14th.

Below is a link to the website where you will find all of the information regarding the Open House in Austin, on Saturday, March 14th. Dr. Wise Young will give an update on the current findings in spinal cord treatment and a discussion of the upcoming NASciNet clinical trials. This presentation will be followed by a Q & A session with Dr. Young and other participating physicians in the summit. If you plan to attend please register on the website. This will help our hosts to ensure there is enough handicapped parking, and refreshments. Make sure to enter your email address correctly because you will receive an email with directions. You will not get the email right away, don't worry. They will be sent out Monday 3/9, and each evening thereafter.

http://adultstemcelltrials.org/ASCT_1-4.html

If you have any questions PM, or email me- jimbenn@rci.rutgers.edu

Wise, Patricia and I are looking forward to warm weather, great BBQ and seeing ya'll
    Last edited by Jim; 5 Mar 2009, 7:50 PM. Reason: update

Let me explain. We are holding a meeting of potential investigators of the new spinal cord injury clinical trial that we are proposing to carry out in the United States. The trial will test the effects of umbilical cord blood mononuclear cell transplants and lithium in people with chronic spinal cord injury. The trial will be similar to the one that we are carrying out in China (ChinaSCINet).

Brackenridge Hospital was interested in participating in this clinical trial and offered to host the first investigator meeting. The meeting starts at with a Governor's reception on Thursday night (March 12). On Friday (March 13), we have a morning session where we will present the clinical trial to the doctors. In the afternoon, we have panel discussions on the trial, surgery, and outcome measures. On Saturday morning (March 14), we will have a session on fundraising.

On Saturday afternoon, we will have an Open House from 1:00-4:00 pm, to which people and families with spinal cord injury are welcome to come. You will need to register so that they know how many people will come. Apparently over 100 people have already registered.

At the Open House, I will present an update of the latest advances in spinal cord injury, including the various trials that are going on and will be going on around the world. I will then talk about the trial that we are planning in the U.S., what the treatment will be, who would be eligible, etc.

After the talk, I (and other doctors who are there) will be glad to answer questions. Although the Open House is scheduled to 4 pm, I can and will stay late to answer as many questions as possible, about treatments and trials.

Brackenridge will be one of the centers in the trial and we are very happy to be working closely with them and also the Lone Star Foundation that is funding the meeting.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 5 Mar 2009, 9:22 PM. Reason: edited to correct April to March.

Comment

Bob, I have removed your posts from all these announcements. Please see in the Members Only Forum /forum/showthread.php?p=1010380#post1010380

Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young View Post

Brackenridge Hospital was interested in participating in this clinical trial and offered to host the first investigator meeting. The meeting starts at with a Governor's reception on Thursday night (April 12). On Friday (April 13), we have a morning session where we will present the clinical trial to the doctors. In the afternoon, we have panel discussions on the trial, surgery, and outcome measures. On Saturday morning (April 14), we will have a session on fundraising.

Wise.
        This is in March correct? Signed up, looking forward to it...

Comment

I registered. Hope to run into a bunch of y'all.
          "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Originally posted by quad80 View Post
            This is in March correct? Signed up, looking forward to it...
            Wow, thanks. It is indeed in March. Let me correct it. Wise.

Comment

Someone asked in a post yesterday about the location of the Seton Hospital Auditorium, the facility where the Open House will take place. I accidently deleted it, sorry.

The Seton Hospital Auditorium is connected to Brackenridge Hospital. If you register you will receive an email with detailed directions. These emails will be sent out starting Monday, and every evening thereafter.

Comment

ok, so i need to register and be there at 1pm...correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                  Someone asked in a post yesterday about the location of the Seton Hospital Auditorium, the facility where the Open House will take place. I accidently deleted it, sorry.

The Seton Hospital Auditorium is connected to Brackenridge Hospital. If you register you will receive an email with detailed directions. These emails will be sent out starting Monday, and every evening thereafter.
                  In Patricia's "Coming to Texas" post, she said it would be at the Clinical Education Center, using www.maps.google.com and putting:

clinical education center austin,tx

in the text box, shows it to be at 601 E15th St. If I remember right(used to live there) there is a big parking garage right there, and it looks like it in the satellite photo. Easy to find, hopefully easy to park.

Comment

To those who have registered for the Open House Saturday, I was told there was a mix up and you will receive a email tomorrow with directions.

This is the address where the Open House will be held- 1345 Philomena Street, Austin. Seton Hospital Auditorium.

Comment

Well that's different.

If you use Google maps, it still shows an old aerial photo of the old airport there. If you use Mapquest, it shows newer pic and labels it as Dell Childrens Medical Center.

Hope this is right, we're leaving in a few hours, don't know if I'll have any internet access where we are camping.

Comment

McDuff, I went to Brackenridge Hospital web site and they had a blurb about it and discovered the conflicting location too. The old airport in Austin has been developed into a medical/retail/housing developement. It is north of Brackenridge Hospital quite a ways off IH35. I live in Austin area and will PM my phone number to you, if you leave and still dont get confirmation on location.

Comment

Thanks Quad80,

I got your PM, and Mod Jim's too. Will call one of you tomorrow.

Hope they built some covered parking, , sounds like it will still be raining and cold.

Comment

How'd it go?
                            Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                            Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rdf View Post
                              How'd it go?
                              rdf, I posted a pdf of my slides from that talk /forum/showpost.php?p=1014772&postcount=27

It was amazing. It must have been close to 300 people in the audience. I am afraid that there would be more because there wasn't much more room for more people in that big room. I was supposed to give an hour's talk and I ended up talking nearly 2 hours. Then I think that we had maybe two hours of questions. They dragged me off to a Mexican dinner at about 5:30 or 6 pm. I told the people at Brackenridge that they should do more these Open Houses. People were really hungry for information.

I tried something new with this group. Normally, at Open Houses, I would give people an update about therapies that have been developed since Christopher Reeve's injury. Last semester, I developed a talk for our undergraduates students to describe what spinal cord injury was, focussing particularly on the question of how the spinal cord injury is injured, why recover occurs, and what is needed to regenerate the spinal cord. I had tried that in a couple of our Open Houses at Rutgers and people liked it.

The Lone Star Foundation is really committed to supporting clinical trials. I am also convinced that there is something in the waters of Austin that makes people especially nice. They were really nice, more so than one can reasonably expect anybody to be so nice. I told Tom Caven (The Medical Director of Brackenridge Hospital) that and he quipped that perhaps there is lithium in the water. Ha, ha. Anyway, lithium or not, they have big cars, big people, and big hearts in Austin.

This particular trial has the support of the governor of Texas who couldn't be there but gave a heart-felt video talk to us at a reception the night before our workshop. The reception was held at the Texas State History Museum. We had a real taste of Texas. I am bringing home a Texas flag (actually flow at the legislature). The food is wonderful. They had the best quail that I have ever tasted. I had some authentic chicken fried steak, which was texas-size and accompanied by a bowl of gravy and mashed potatoes. And, of course, I had Tex-Mex food. At the hospital, I had the most incredible salsa sauce made by a very famous Katie.

Next month, we have representatives from several of the centers coming to China, to see the surgery and the walking program in Kunming. Craig Semperer (a neurosurgeon) and Charlotte Smith (the rehab doctor in charge of the Recovery Center) from Brackenridge will be coming to Kunming to observe surgery and the walking program, so that we can come back with more ideas about what the U.S. surgical and walking training program can be like. It is nice to have such enthusiasm and excitement that people are willing to take to time to come.

Brackenridge will become a major clinical trial center for spinal cord injury therapies in the coming years. They have very large number of acute spinal cord (apparently 90-100 per year) and traumatic brain injury (1800 per year). They have an impressive recovery center with a commitment to "recovery" rather than just rehabilitation. They are very open-minded and want to be involved in clinical trials. I was quite impressed.

Wise.

Comment

Working...
                              X