No announcement yet.

Who's up for testing a new feature? :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Steven, what exactly triggers the load of the next set of items? Is it when the last item is scrolled into view?

Comment

Originally posted by Timaru View Post
      Not any more it isn't!

I checked that it's still activated and it is - any other suggestions Steven?
      Are you still having trouble with it?

Originally posted by Zero View Post
      Hey Steven, what exactly triggers the load of the next set of items? Is it when the last item is scrolled into view?
      The code calculates the y-position of the page navigation elements below the thread/content listing, subtracts the height of your viewport and a fudge factor that makes it feel more natural--storing that as activateAt. The load event is triggered when the top of your viewport becomes greater than activateAt.

It times out if it takes longer than 10 seconds to load the next page.
      ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Not any more it isn't!

I checked that it's still activated and it is - any other suggestions Steven?
        Fixed.
        ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Edwards View Post
          Fixed.
          It sure is, many thanks Brains!

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423 View Post
            edited to add ...... wow! I like this too! What other new perks have you got up your sleeve?
            Just seeing this. Thanks! Zero made a good suggestion that I'll be implementing in the future, and--if I'm feeling particularly massochistic--I may rework the existing HTML and Javascript to improve the load speed.

It sure is, many thanks Brains!
            Not a problem. Sorry you had to browse without it for a couple of days.

Comment

I like how the scrolling happens with search results pages.

I want infinite scroll on every message board I visit now. I don't think any of them have it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by keps View Post
                I like how the scrolling happens with search results pages.
                Me too. I'm still sometimes tempted to go for the > link before remembering that it's no longer necessary.

I want infinite scroll on every message board I visit now. I don't think any of them have it, though.
                Sorry--I can't be everywhere.

I tested this with my Google Reader account before implementing it here and it made reading the news much more convenient, so I knew I had to add it here.

Comment

You the man Steven!

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Edwards View Post
                    Me too. I'm still sometimes tempted to go for the > link before remembering that it's no longer necessary.
                    Just wanted to say, me too. When this was first implemented, there was a noticeable lag(Safari/Mac) when I got to/near the bottom of page. Whatever tweaking you did, made it now transparent and smooth, hence I keep heading for the > thinking I must need to.

Thanks & Congrats.
                    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Thanks very much Steven. Dial-up is all that is available to me, unless I go expensive dish, so everything I do is slow. This is cool.

Comment

McDuff, let me know if that changes.

smokymtn, does Infinite Scroll make reading threads easier with dial-up?

...and an update: I often use the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the page to reply, but Infinite Scroll made that frustrating because the next pages would continue to load as I was typing. So, I fixed that.

From now on, typing in the Quick Reply box blocks Infinite Scroll, allowing you to write messages in peace. If you have trouble getting to the Quick Reply box before Infinite Scroll kicks in, use the new access key q.

Specifically, hitting Alt+Shift+q in Firefox places you in the Quick Reply box. (Internet Explorer users should use Alt+q; Opera users Shift+Esc, q; Safari users Ctrl+Option+q.)

Comment

Steven, it seems to have eliminated the waiting time I would normally have changing pages, which has made it much faster for me.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymtn memories View Post
                            Steven, it seems to have eliminated the waiting time I would normally have changing pages, which has made it much faster for me.
                            That's awesome! Thanks for letting me know--I hadn't thought about the impact it would have on dial-up users.

Comment

Sorry to be a pain Steven but the infinite scroll has stopped scrolling again.

I've checked and it is switched on.

Comment

Still working for me, but the delay while loading next page is back.
                                "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Working...
                                X