Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CareCure Membership Profile: Who are our members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CareCure Membership Profile: Who are our members?

After many hours of analysis and cleanup of the CareCure database, here is a summary of the profile of the CareCure members, as of May 1, 2008.

There are a total of 22,477 users. In the last three years, we have been inundated by spammers and we had to ban 4996 of the users. So, we currently have a total of 17481 registered users. We are averaging 8 legitimate registrations per day.

In 2007, we started requiring that people say whether they have spinal cord injury when they register. Before that, the answers were only voluntary. Occasionally, people put additional information such as "No, but my husband has". If they said yes and other information on the registration (such as an injury date or level is provided) support the answer, we categorize the member as "spinal-injured". If they say no or did not say, they are categorized as "unknown". If they indicate that they are a "caregiver", they are placed in that category. If they indicate that their friend, wife, husband, son/daughter, boyfriend/girlfriend, fiance, or other relatives have spinal cord injury, they are categorized as "Loved one". If they are a doctor, rehabilitation, or researchers in he field, they are categorized as "Professional". If they indicate that they have an other condition, they are classified as such.

From 2001 to now (All), we have had 17523 registered members (excluding spammers). 7031 (40%) indicated that they are spinal-injured. 1217 (7%) indicated that they are caregivers, 711 (4%) said that they have a loved one that has spinal injury, 42 (<1%) said that they are professionals, and 469 (3%) said that they have some other condition. These includes ALS, MS, TM, and others.

In 2007, we had 3269 registered members (excluding spammers) of which 41% are spinal-injured, 2% are caregivers, 6% are loved ones, and 6% have other conditions. In the first four months of 2008, we have had 1378 registered members (excluding spammers) of which only 34% are spinal-injured, 3% are caregivers, 5% are loved ones, and 6% have other conditions.

Fascinating stats Wise, and it also shows how this community has grown over the years. Thank you for all your efforts!

Comment

Wait.....did I read the stats backwards? Are there actually fewer people now?

Comment

Thanks Wise! I was just wondering about some of the facts you stated.
        Any way of knowing quad/para ratio, complete/incomplete?
        I think it would be nice to have a forum for quads & paras by themselves.
        Just me thinking.
        Thanks for everything you do!
        Best website on the internet!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen
          Wait.....did I read the stats backwards? Are there actually fewer people now?
          Eileen,

The first column is All years, the second is 2001 to 2006, the third is 2007, and then 2008. We are only a third of the way through 2008. The number of registered members is increasing every year. Please note that we have deliberately not advertised or done very much to recruit people to this site. This is because we cannot absorb more than about 10 people a day without discombobulating the community.

So, if you look at the column for "All", referring to 24 July 2001 to 1 May 2008, the time period was nearly 7 years, during which we averaged about 7 registrants per day. For period 2001-2006, the time period was 5.6 years and we had about 5 registrants per day. In 2007, we had 9 registrants per day and 40% were spinal-injured. In 2008, so far, we have had nearly 12 registrants per day but only 34% of them are spinal-injured, suggesting that the increase in the number of registrants is due to people who do not have spinal cord injury.

Starting in the fall of 2006, spammers began to invade our site. From 2001-2006, we had only 0.5 spammers/day. In 2007, we average 8 spammer registrations per day. In 2008 so far, we have averaged 7.6 spammer registrations per day. We have been reasonably successful in removing their spam posts and banning their registrations, often within hours of their registration and posting. To date, we have banned about 5000 spammers and removed about 9000 spam posts.

Other statistics about our site indicate that over 100,000 different people (based on their IP addresses) visit us each month and view over a million pages on our web site. The average visitor spends nearly 10 minutes per visit and reads about 10 pages. Because our site appears often on Google searches, many people come to our site and don't click on any other links. We have a "bounce" rate of nearly 50%. I suspect that this may be due to our Politics forum. I recently made the Politics Forum a private members only forum to see if this would change the statistics. It is still too early to tell.

In summary, CareCure currently has about 7000 members with spinal cord injury and about 2000 people who care for somebody with spinal cord injury. There are 8000 members who have indicated that they don't have spinal cord injury. Nearly 500 people have indicated that they have other conditions besides spinal cord injury. We continue to be inundated by spammers but have been banning them reasonably quickly. Our site averaged over 100,000 unique visitors per month, viewing over 1 million pages and staying over 10 minutes per visit.

Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mona~on~wheels
            Thanks Wise! I was just wondering about some of the facts you stated.
            Any way of knowing quad/para ratio, complete/incomplete?
            I think it would be nice to have a forum for quads & paras by themselves.
            Just me thinking.
            Thanks for everything you do!
            Best website on the internet!
            Mona,

While some have given us levels and severity, most people have not. The data is not sufficiently detailed.

Wise.

Comment

It is amazing to me the number of people here who don't know their own level of injury or ASIA category. It is nice if they include this in their profile, but I don't see how we could require it.

Most of the spammers put nothing in their profile, or only put age. I think it would be worth making more of the profile mandatory to see if that would slow down some of the spammers. I have noticed lately that some of them are posting with multiple registrations on the same day as well.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

very cool Dr. Young thanks for all the great work!
                "ELE" ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I just find the profile a polite way to introduce yourself , gives everyone an idea were your coming from . no?

i like the smiles to.
                  "ELE" ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young
                    Mona,

While some have given us levels and severity, most people have not. The data is not sufficiently detailed.

Wise.
                    Thanks Wise,
                    I know there isn't. Someone will make a comment that doesn't sound right. If they were a quad they'd know their post doesn't make sense.
                    So I go to their profile. Nothing there.

Apparelyzed website automatically shows under your avatar when you enter it in your profile. That's nice, saves having to click back & forth.
                    It may be mandatory info to sign up. Not sure if any are blank.
                    sigpic

Comment

Possible reason - I am new and one of these

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
                      It is amazing to me the number of people here who don't know their own level of injury or ASIA category. It is nice if they include this in their profile, but I don't see how we could require it.

Most of the spammers put nothing in their profile, or only put age. I think it would be worth making more of the profile mandatory to see if that would slow down some of the spammers. I have noticed lately that some of them are posting with multiple registrations on the same day as well.

(KLD)
                      Perhaps the reason that so many have not included detailed information on their diagnosis is that they re still trying to get one. I am a well educated person and fortunate to have medical insurance that allows me access to whatever physician I choose - but that doesnt mean I can get a physician to make a diagnosis and I am frustrated beyond reason. I have been ill for 1 year with the peripheral neuropathy symptoms for 7 months and I have not been able to get a diagnosis of what I have so I worsen daily. I get told what I dont have and the focus has been MS or Parkinson (which have now been ruled out - took 7 months).

This Website is linked to John Hopkins for TM symptoms. Probably a lot of other symptoms as well?. So for those of us searching and trying to get answers.... this forum is a godsend.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young
                        From 2001 to now (All), we have had 17523 registered members (excluding spammers). 7031 (40%) indicated that they are spinal-injured. 1217 (7%) indicated that they are caregivers, 711 (4%) said that they have a loved one that has spinal injury, 42 (<1%) said that they are professionals, and 469 (3%) said that they have some other condition. These includes ALS, MS, TM, and others.
                        Is the missing 45% from above due to the fact that insufficient info. was filled out in their profile?
                        Last edited by 2jazzyjeff; 4 May 2008, 7:23 PM. Reason: subtraction error

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

Originally posted by 2jazzyjeff
                          Is the missing 45% from above due to the fact that insufficient info. was filled out in their profile?
                          Jeff, the "missing 45%" are those people who answer no to the question of "do you have spinal cord injury" and do not give any other hint as to their status.

Wise.

Comment

Wise, thanks for the clarification on the stats. Math was just never my thing (I'm lucky when my checkbook balances!). This is such an amazing community, and I feel fortunate to have found it, and grateful that you set it all up for us.

Comment

Here is some updated statistics on our membership. Excluding spammers and other banned individuals, we now have slight 18,042 members. About 46% (8327) answered "no" or equivalent to the question, "Do you have spinal cord injury". About 40% (7217) answered "yes" or equivalent to the question, excluding those who said yes but then indicated that they had some other condition such as MS or syringomyelia. About 3% (491) had some other condition, ranging from MS, ALS, and TM to back pain.

The CareCure site has been up 2519 days since July 28, 2001. During this time, about 7.2 people registered per day of which 2.9 people are spinal-injured. These numbers are rising. Between 2001-2006, only 4.9 people registered per day. In 2007, 3269 people registered for an average of 9 new members per day and 3.7 of them were spinal-injured. In 2008, the number is increasing to 11.3 new members per day of which 4.4 are spinal-injured.

We have a total of 1230 people who answered yes to the question, "Are you a caregiver?" or equivalent answer. A vast majority of them (1116) joined between 2001-2006. In 2007, only 60 joined us. But in 2008, so far, 54 have joined us and we are not yet reached the halfway point for the year.

About 734 people have signed up indicating that they have a close friend, relative, or loved one who is spinal-injured. These people did not indicate that they are caregivers. In 2007, 206 such people joined us. IN 2008, we have had fewer such people or at least they are not saying what their relationship is to a spinal-injured person.

Relatively few people have indicated that they are professionals. In total, only 43 people have said that they are doctors or health professionals. Only 9 joined in 2007 and so far 6 have joined this year. We don't have a category for researchers and only a few people who have signed up have indicated that they do spinal cord injury research.

Finally, we banned 1190 spammers in 2006, 2916 spammers in 2007, and 1216 during the first half of 2008. They continue to bug us, registering at the rate of 8 per day in 2007 and about 7 per day in 2008 so far. Before 2006, we barely had any spammers.

Comment

Working...
                              X