No announcement yet.

Quadriplegic Begs to Die, But Hospital Refuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the old adage of "What goes around, comes around", seems to be fitting here.

Originally posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    I pray all those around him denying him his choice break their necks or suffer miserably.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
      Indeed.
      I woke up this morning thinking about this guy.
      Me too. Also, can you imagine being this way since the age of three? Knowing no other life than being trapped in your body not being able to move, its horrifying. He should be allowed to end his life.

Comment

I always wonder in these cases if he is able to refuse food and water. At least that would be one way to maintain control over ones life.

Comment

Originally posted by arndog View Post
          I always wonder in these cases if he is able to refuse food and water. At least that would be one way to maintain control over ones life.
          I don't know other countries, but i recall some of my law lessons, in Spain you are not allowed to feed anyone by force if they don't want to eat, unless his life is in danger... so yes in spain they'd find a way to feed you. Being a quad, you don't need to feed him through his mouth but IV and he couldn't prevent that because can't move...

There's a big movement in europe to legalize euthanasia, i'm not sure if there's already any country here that allows it. Anyway, i think is the correct thing to do and i bet in the future will be like this, but people and governments (again, people) need their time to think clearly about these things.

It's like death penalty, homosexual prosecution, stoning, religion ()... it will all end, but it takes time for us humans to be smart lol.
          Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Comment

Around 10 years ago a quadriplegic friend of mine decided she wasn't going to shunt her latest syrinx. She went from being a C6 when initially injured, to being on a ventilator after four shunts. Her previous shunt had started to affect her swallowing reflex. She was in her 30s and the hospital did everything possible to help her fulfill her wish.
            She was medicated into unconsciousness and then the ventilator was shut off. Initially a family member freaked out so they pumped her full of Narcon to bring her back. When she realized she wasn't dead, she was thoroughly pissed.
            They started the procedure over again and she was allowed to slip away. It was peaceful and moving. I was very impressed that the hospital respected her wishes.

Comment

Is insertion of a stomach tube considered force-feeding? If not, I'd worry about the hospital putting one of those in. As others here have said, I wish his quality of life could be improved...but in any case, this should be his decision.
              MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

well does not state of oregan allows it?
                C5 with no grip/wrist ext. or triceps
                (DHAL) If you think you can, you will

Comment

So important to make your wishes known (i.e. a living will!) though I realize at 3yrs of age, he couldn't.

It must feel like he's in prison for a crime he never committed.
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

This guy and I are basically carbon copies, same injury at same age, same for schooling, and it's no secret of my wanting the same a few years ago. About the only difference is that I have another 1-2 years post injury and total age.

As Eileen said, his main problem is lack of being wanted, or being useful. I wonder why he doesn't work, or do some volunteer work. After college, I had multiple interviews, but just as many rejection letters. That's why I just continued what I was doing for fun, making web sites, and made it into my job.

I know $4 mil isn't a lot when talking medical expenses, but why is it already gone? I'm not far from that amount now, but I'm not at it. In about five years, 19 hours a day, I'm just about at $500,000 for nursing care through an agency. The article stated he was spending that much per year.

As others have said and I agree, it is his decision and one he should be able to make on his own. However, I think there are several other choices he has. I'd love the opportunity to meet or talk with him.
                    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Comment

I wish you could talk to him Trainman.

Comment

Oregon law allows it but you will never get a doctor to help you, I think this is so screwed,it is his life!
                        c3/c4, injured 2007

Comment

like i said before, any high quad can kill themself. these stories are media drama. cr could've gone out one day and put his sip and puff over a cliff. if you wanna die, you will.

Comment

This topic is really heavy

One way or another following through is not impossible .
                            The hardest part of life is living . I do not like the idea of suffering nor seeing anyone else suffer .
                            But we all have choices

Comment

Cass, I had a friend, high quad, who was injured due to risky conduct. His father told me that he tried to commit suicide and failed, and now a quad. He did one day, die. He was in his mid 20's. He used to take his powerchair and try to get it to fly into traffic, into the street, over curbs. Advocates tried to get him to channel all his anger and energy into some sport, talk it out in SCI support groups. He then continued to find ways to die, and he succeeded.

I believe people should have a right to die. The problem is often depression may be from his medication. He may be feeling guilty for putting the burden on his family to take care of him and not being independent. He sounds angry he does not have education. Why not? Wouldn't the state sponsor for him to get an education? Is his anger due to not having enough money to support his life? So when someone checks out, it is permanent. I remember reading a lot of these type of stories for Kevorkian.
                              And a group, Not Dead Yet, was fighting them as well.

Comment

trainman, good post. From experience you can and many of us can discuss the possiblitly of suicide. the one question that I have does one who passes from this life achieve peace? It is obviuosly an answer none of us can give with any known accuracy. I know that having the belief that something may be on the horizon fo rimpeovement for all of us.

keeping on

Comment

Working...
                                X