X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lance Armstrong Stripped of 7 Tour de France Titles

Published: Monday, 22 Oct 2012 | 8:01 AM ET

By: Reuters

Lance Armstrong has been stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and banned for life after the International Cycling Union (UCI) said on Monday it had ratified the United States Anti-Doping Agency's (USADA) sanctions.
    Rogerio Barbosa | AFP | Getty Images
    Lance Armstrong

The decision was announced at a UCI news conference.
    "Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling," UCI President Pat McQuaid said as he confirmed the ratification.
    On Oct. 10, USADA published a report into Armstrong which alleged the now retired American rider had been involved in the "most sophisticated, professionalised and successful doping program that sport has ever seen."
    Armstrong, 41, had previously elected not to contest USADA charges, prompting the agency to propose his punishment pending confirmation from cycling's world governing body.
    Former Armstrong teammates at his U.S. Postal and Discovery Channel [DISCA 60.81 0.37 (+0.61%) ] outfits, where he won his seven straight Tour titles from 1999 to 2005, testified against him and were given reduced bans by the American authorities.
    Armstrong, once widely accepted as one of the greatest cyclists of all time, and one who fought back from cancer to dominate the sport, has always denied doping and maintains he has never failed a doping test.
    He said he had stopped contesting the charges after years of probes and rumours because "there comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, 'Enough is enough.'"
    McQuaid, whose organization has long battled a major doping problem throughout the sport, added: "This is not the first time cycling has reached a crossroads and has had to start anew."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49500724

Say it ain't so Lance!

Comment

The higher they climb. . .

L I V E S T R O N G
      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Sometimes jealous people , Sore losers have to resort to low blows below the Belt as typical Boxers often do ...
        For a athlete who battled and Won Cancer / Lance does not need a piece of metal or Gold to be declared a winner cheater

He is a Winner in my books . That's my feeling
        Lance More power to ya

Comment

The American public really hates cheaters that get caught and other falls from grace. It won't be long before they're talking about a book deal and who gets the first interview with him since the fall.

Comment

He should admit it.

Comment

Hell, I don't give a pHuck... more power to him, he STILL hasn't failed a test.... one of the 'FEW' athletes that I ever payed attention to. Did more for the sport than ANYONE. Beat cancer and raised awareness about it. As far as I'M concerned, ICU and USADA can bite my hairless ASS. Look at the films... WHO won? I pHart in the general direction of the naysayers.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

He won, but he cheated, his teammates testified to. Should we teach our kids its ok to cheat?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                  He won, but he cheated, his teammates testified to. Should we teach our kids its ok to cheat?
                  No we should not. He probably got his cancer from HGH or some other steroid or hormone.

Comment

When you look at the graphic in this article..........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...by-doping.html

............ and see that only three "clean" riders have won the Tour de Franses in the last seventeen years it makes you wonder why they bother testing at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Patton57 View Post
                      The American public really hates cheaters that get caught and other falls from grace. It won't be long before they're talking about a book deal and who gets the first interview with him since the fall.
                      Except there's not one shred of hard evidence that he did -- no failed tests all those years, just testimony from team mates and competitors who watched his backside cross the finish line. Would not stand up in court. I think it's a shame; other professional athletes accused of doping didn't get as harsh treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Timaru View Post
                        When you look at the graphic in this article..........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...by-doping.html

............ and see that only three "clean" riders have won the Tour de Franses in the last seventeen years it makes you wonder why they bother testing at all!
                        What standard are they using to declare those riders to be clean? That they passed drug tests? Armstrong was tested more than any other athlete out there and the French had a vendetta against him. Even now, they aren't pretending that they could claim that any other rider was clean enough to be awarded the wins they are stripping from him.

The shame here is that his cancer foundation will suffer.

Comment

Originally posted by David Berg View Post
                          What standard are they using to declare those riders to be clean? That they passed drug tests? Armstrong was tested more than any other athlete out there and the French had a vendetta against him. Even now, they aren't pretending that they could claim that any other rider was clean enough to be awarded the wins they are stripping from him.

Agreed...even tv shows say they need hard evidence before they bring someone to trial. Since there was no positive test, only the words of some jealous people, or ones feeling guilty because they doped, I still believe that he is the 7 time Tour De France champion. Until you have one solid piece of physical evidence...he will always be the champion in my mind.
                          "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by David Berg View Post
                            Very true.

Comment

I understand he may have used something but let's face it it's Donkeykong if other riders arent using enhancers plus he was i'll and still never gave up Why dont they tell the truth they can not go 200 miles on a bicycle with nothing unless theyre a super hero lol

Even if he was to Testify that he used a enhancer he still is a winner to me

Heck I would use a enhancer or anything etc....if it would help me walk

When he had the cancer kicking his butt he still made things happen positively ,
                              More power to him

Comment

Working...
                              X