• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill O'Reilly says there's no explanation for tides; it must be god

Starts at 1:50

LOL!!! What? Hasn't this nitwit heard of the moon and
    gravitational pull?

I'm having a hard time guessing who's dumber: George Bush or Bill O'Reilly? Tough decision...

Thanks for the video buddy.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Comment

I have my opinions and can only elaborate briefly on the basis of it !

Maybe there is something more to life than we can comprehend .

Could it be another phase of Evolution ? If we look outside the box ?

Comment

Please don't tell me gravity will be the next scientific theory to be disparaged by these people...
        NYC Disability Forum (@DisabledNYC on Twitter)

Comment

Originally posted by 0xSquidy View Post
          I'm having a hard time guessing who's dumber: George Bush or Bill O'Reilly? Tough decision...
          Let's just call it a tie. That way no one is offended.
          stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

It's equally disturbing that David didn't seem to know the answer, or didn't bother explaining.

I've seen David on tv a few times and really dislike his abrasive, arrogant attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Klymir View Post
              I've seen David on tv a few times and really dislike his abrasive, arrogant attitude.
              Yeah, I'd rather someone else represent the side of reason.

Comment

I can't stand the sound of O'reilly's voice. He's a disturbing person.

Funny though, how he believes that just because he personally is unable to explain a force of nature, like tides in the oceans, that the explanation must be the force of divine power. Yet if he actually took the time to learn what causes tides, he could then explain and gain credibility. He could then end he point with, "Isn't God's creation of the Universe miraculous!" And feel like a hero. But no, learning a little science would be like practicing witchcraft.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthQuad View Post
                  I can't stand the sound of O'reilly's voice. He's a disturbing person.

Funny though, how he believes that just because he personally is unable to explain a force of nature, like tides in the oceans, that the explanation must be the force of divine power. Yet if he actually took the time to learn what causes tides, he could then explain and gain credibility. He could then end he point with, "Isn't God's creation of the Universe miraculous!" And feel like a hero. But no, learning a little science would be like practicing witchcraft.
                  Precisely. The reason why Bible stories and other religious
                  stories even exist is because the science wasn't available
                  to explain things thousands of years ago.

I doubt his audience cares that he lacks even the fundamentals
                  of scientific knowledge.

I'm not religious, but I'd offer other phenomenons that, as of
                  now, have no explanation. For example, the Higgs Boson, or
                  as religious people call it, the God Particle. The unidentified
                  particle that creates mass. I'm surprised he didn't use that as
                  an example because it's popular with the churchies.

Comment

Originally posted by Soliloquy View Post
                    Please don't tell me gravity will be the next scientific theory to be disparaged by these people...
                    What's gravity?

Comment

Originally posted by Buck_Nastier View Post
                      Precisely. The reason why Bible stories and other religious stories even exist is because the science wasn't available to explain things thousands of years ago.
                      Not to mention they're so widely believed because they've been around for thousands of years. Like Bill Maher points out: If you want to consider how batshit religions are, look at the new ones, like Scientology.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
                        What's gravity?
                        Obey Gravity: It's The Law!
                        NYC Disability Forum (@DisabledNYC on Twitter)

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
                          What's gravity?
                          Excellent question. Gravity is well understood on the macroscopic level but not so well understood on the quantum level. Things like light have a dual nature, existing as both a particle and a wave when observed at a quantum level, gravity is expected to have this dual nature as well but so far we have not detected a "graviton" which would be the gravitational equivalent of a photon. Ovbiously Bill knows this and has reached the logical conculsion that Jebbus has tiny little invisible stings tied to everything and uses those to keep planets in orbit, create tides and perform other gravitational duties.

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                            Excellent question. Gravity is well understood on the macroscopic level but not so well understood on the quantum level. Things like light have a dual nature, existing as both a particle and a wave when observed at a quantum level, gravity is expected to have this dual nature as well but so far we have not detected a "graviton" which would be the gravitational equivalent of a photon. Ovbiously Bill knows this and has reached the logical conculsion that Jebbus has tiny little invisible stings tied to everything and uses those to keep planets in orbit, create tides and perform other gravitational duties.

Yes. We understand the behavior of matter as a result of gravity - we know how it works, but cannot yet explain why it behaves as it does. We discuss it using the Einsteinian explanation/analogy of the curvature of space/time in the presence of mass, but as t8 points out, have yet to find the proposed particle that would carry the gravitational force.

It's a long way, however, to go from saying we don't understand it yet to saying that it is not understandable or knowable. O'Reilly seems to embrace his/our ignorance - instead of looking forward to discovering more about the universe, he's happier ascribing it to divine intervention and not having to think about it anymore.

Comment

Working...
                            X