Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paralympian's recovery:Legs regained, dreams lost

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=12472131
    Last edited by GL; 25 Jan 2011, 4:30 PM.
    T5/6, ASIA A, injured 30 Nov 08
    Future SCI Alumnus.
    I don't want to dance in the rain, I want to soar above the storm.

Hmmmm....interesting article. I wish she had allowed her medical records to be looked at because it is hard to know why she needed the chair anyway. Little of her initial cause of disability, and even less of her accident caused cure makes sense to me. A small price to give up the Paralympics to be able to walk again as far as I am concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
      A small price to give up the Paralympics to be able to walk again as far as I am concerned.
      a no-price to me.
      T5/6, ASIA A, injured 30 Nov 08
      Future SCI Alumnus.
      I don't want to dance in the rain, I want to soar above the storm.

Comment

i no where shes coming from and I can feel her pain

Comment

page is gone

Comment

Is this article about Monique van der Vorst? She is Dutch, so I saw a lot about it on TV. It makes me really angry! I wish it was soooo easy, but don’t believe it. I think she hasn’t had a SCI. On Dutch TV there was an interview with a (I think her) rehab-doc, who was telling that she probably had the leg function (and feeling) earlier (immediately after her accident) , but she wasn’t recognizing it because she was so busy with her sport carrier….
            Last edited by Saskia; 24 Jan 2011, 7:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
              Hmmmm....interesting article. I wish she had allowed her medical records to be looked at because it is hard to know why she needed the chair anyway. Little of her initial cause of disability, and even less of her accident caused cure makes sense to me. A small price to give up the Paralympics to be able to walk again as far as I am concerned.
              Her main disability was post traumatic dystrophy, her ‘SCI’ came later as a result of an accident, she was hospitalized for a short time, and didn’t went to rehab.

Comment

Hi djrolling much appreciated
                Thank you for bringing that to my attention
                I'll get the page article again

Comment

Cry me a river. What a tragic story!

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Français View Post
                    Cry me a river. What a tragic story!
                    She can have mine...I'm sure you would giver her yours right Todd? Dreams lost...(insert cuss words of your choice here) I have took a nice vow...
                    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=12472131

Comment

amazing
                        JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

Comment

Originally posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
                          She can have mine...I'm sure you would giver her yours right Todd? Dreams lost...(insert cuss words of your choice here) I have took a nice vow...
                          It's awful, isn't it? Almost makes the shooting in Tucson seem like a non-story. I can't stand people who bitch about small shit anymore.

"It's difficult because I need to find a new purpose in life." If she wants to compete so badly, she can join something she is eligible for. Makes sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Français View Post
                            It's awful, isn't it? Almost makes the shooting in Tucson seem like a non-story. I can't stand people who bitch about small shit anymore.

"It's difficult because I need to find a new purpose in life." If she wants to compete so badly, she can join something she is eligible for. Makes sense to me.
                            I think I can understand how Monique might feel. Her life as she knew it has totally changed. It is a shock, a good one, but a shock none the less.

I remember coming home from rehab after months in the hospital when I was a kid. I so wanted to be home. But it was all so different when I go home. It was somehow no longer familiar and took a lot of adjustment.

Imagine a prisoner wrongly convicted and spending years in prison. Release would be a shock.

We are all somewhat defined by our own image of ourselves. Which often comes from circumstances beyond our control. It is a shock when going through this big of a change.... even if on the surface it is an amazingly positive change.
                            Adaptive Sports Forums.com
                            http://adaptivesportsforums.com
                            Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Comment

Originally posted by My395 View Post
                              I think I can understand how Monique might feel. Her life as she knew it has totally changed. It is a shock, a good one, but a shock none the less.

I remember coming home from rehab after months in the hospital when I was a kid. I so wanted to be home. But it was all so different when I go home. It was somehow no longer familiar and took a lot of adjustment.

Imagine a prisoner wrongly convicted and spending years in prison. Release would be a shock.

We are all somewhat defined by our own image of ourselves. Which often comes from circumstances beyond our control. It is a shock when going through this big of a change.... even if on the surface it is an amazingly positive change.
                              That's a fair point of view. I suppose I'd find myself lost if I became able-bodied again.

Comment

Working...
                              X