No announcement yet.

Adaptive Equipment Needs Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's one of the problems with the world today everybody so damn pc sensitive. in the life we are stuck in we have to build thick skin by now. just call it like it is. i like the name as long as the price is good people will buy it.
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

Comment

Keep the name Josh, if the products are good even the "offended" will buy. Took the survey.
      Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

I'm about to take the survey if it's still up.

As for the name of the company, I'd say in the end that's the company owners call.

Unfortunately, no matter -what- term you use there's always going to be someone, or a number of people who will be offended by it - This goes for all things, not just this. You can't please everyone. The way I see it is this: The name doesn't matter nearly as much as what the company does matters.

Just offering my own, personal views on the matter.

As for me... Yeah, I'm a cripple, I can't walk. I am not disabled, because as someone stated so accurately above, I have plenty of abilities. Alternately-abled is just baby-talk to me, and therefor more insulting than 'cripple'.

If someone wants to make fun of the fact that I can't walk, that says a lot more about them than me, and I have the advantage of being able to run them over, or.. at least their foot

-V
        Last edited by JackalOnWheels; 10-29-2010, 05:51 PM. Reason: Fixing typo

Comment

I would like a custom-sized (I'm tiny) shower/commode chair that folds up & fits in a suitcase so I can continue my globe-trotting lifestyle.

I would also like a motorized camera "tripod" attached to my chair that could move the camera up and down, pan and tilt, all controlled by voice commands.

I would like a voice controlled e-book reader.

I think someone ought to make a wheelchair tilt mechanism that automatically adjusted to keep you at the angle you prefer even when going up and down hills and ramps.

I think all quads should be issued robotic arms. Then the revolution can begin...

As for the name, I see it as reclaiming derogatory language and redefining it as positive. He's indicating that the company will be run by someone with membership in this historically oppressed group, as no able-bodied CEO could or should dare use such a name. Plus he's got some alliteration going on there. The only problem with that is non-disabled people generally aren't savvy enough to know we're redefining their term, and might take it as tacit permission to use the word "cripple".
          NYC Disability Forum (@DisabledNYC on Twitter)

Comment

Soliloquy,
            If we were openly referred to as cripples again, the term would not be derogatory. Look at any 30 or 40 year old dictionary, all it means is that we can't walk. When people see someone in a wheelchair, they think "cripple", feel guilty about it, and then blurt out something politically correct. I think that PC is the most incorrect movement I have ever seen, taking ordinary words and making them "wrong".
            Don - Grad Student Emeritus
            T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Comment

Originally posted by Donno View Post
              Soliloquy,
              If we were openly referred to as cripples again, the term would not be derogatory. Look at any 30 or 40 year old dictionary, all it means is that we can't walk. When people see someone in a wheelchair, they think "cripple", feel guilty about it, and then blurt out something politically correct. I think that PC is the most incorrect movement I have ever seen, taking ordinary words and making them "wrong".
              Amen, brother.

Crazy talk inspires colorful banter to say the least.

If you have to deal with stupid baby talk, there's no opportunity to jack up the crazy factor. Ignorance doesn't scare me. I can fend for myself.

As far as I'm concerned, the PC movement can choose somebody else for their poster child.

I'll be a mogwai until midnight… And after my midnight snack, all bets are off.

Comment

could you work on designing anti-tippers that are truly user-friendly, the ones on my ti-lite aren't.
                A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Hydraulic disc brakes under $400.

Anti tips that are separate from the center of gravity.

Comment

Working...
                  X