No announcement yet.

Favorite movie of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunglasses play one of those interesting little roles in these movies. It's kind of like "the eyes are the window to your soul" and the shades are worn to "hide" or conceal themselves while they're in the matrix. The only time Neo deliberately removes them, is when he meets the Oracle and then puts them back on when he is confronted by Smith. Also he removes them to convince Persephone with a kiss for his love of Trinity. Smith does this a few times in the first one when he interrogates Neo and the again when he tries to persuade Morpheous. It's almost a way of showing submission and a way to let their guard down.

Neo's eyes hurt, because he never used them in the "real world" up to that point. He was enslaved in a pod like everyone else by the machines and was plugged in living his life in a computer generated dream world: i.e. the Matrix. He was completely unaware that he was not living in reality up to that point. What seems more desirable? Living a rich but false reality in the Matrix or living in the "desert" of the real world? That is the crux of the movie. Questioning what is reality.

Comment

My Favourites

Beautiful Girls

Gladiator.

X - You watched Gods must be Crazy ... I didn't even know it was released outside of SA. Cool. [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

----
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "$#*&, what a trip!"
      _____oOo_____
      Phil C6
      "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Comment

Thanks Brad. Your explanation immediately made me think about that scene in the subway station when Neo and Agent Smith are fighting. Neo slams Smith and breaks his sunglasses--and you can see one eye exposed. A little foreshadowing to his imminent vulnerability--with the train and in the very end.

Comment

There you go. [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] That's another one I forgot about.

Comment

Ok, Brad, one last question ... or we're going to have to start our own topic. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

In Matrix #1 Neo wears that long black London Fog coat. Very sexy. In #2 his coat has the obvious cut and look of a Roman Catholic priest's cassock (think that's what it's called). All he needed was the white tab in the collar and a rosary. Of course it's more religious imagery but I was struck by the transition from swaggering London Fog Neo to the Kung Fu, kick ass holy man Neo. Any comments?

Comment

It can certainly be viewed as religious imagery. Good observation. Neo is humanities' savior, just as Jesus was. You'll see in the last one.

How many Action/Adventure/SiFi/KungFu movies have the hero fighting in a stylish trench coat? It has it own unique style to it. A lot in this movie is left to interpretation for the audience to decide what to make of it. It's not all spoon fed like in some other movies. As the Oracle says "you'll just have to make up your own damn mind"

Comment

Cool Brad. Thanks. The Oracle is right. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

BTW, probably the only reason I picked up on the different coats was that I watched the movies back to back within a couple of hours of each other. And (ahem) naturally Keanu Reeves received the bulk of my attention. [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

One more comment [img]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ... Hugo Weaverling the actor who plays Agent Smith did the voice of the foreboding father sheepdog in the "Babe" movies.

I don't know ... hmmm, kinda wish I didn't know that. Sort of took something away from Agent Smith's invulnerable character.

Comment

The Oracle is right.
                  Of course she is, she knows everything. She wouldn't be much of an Oracle if she didn't. [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Brad! My children gave me Matrix Revolutions for Mother's Day. [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Gotta wait until they're in bed tonight to watch it. I'll tell you what I think.

Comment

Very Cool. [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] My mom isn't into this kind of movie, so I got her Orchids instead. [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I'm here ready to answer any of your questions. [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Overall - book and film...across the board.... To Kill a Mockingbird...to me it was a perfect film...I have always liked narratives.

Historical romance...Dr Zhivago...had the biggest impact on me...it introduced conflict to my life.... I was always very conflicted after seeing this film. I loved the purity of Geraldine Chaplin and the strength and passion of Julie Christie. I could see it over and over. I loved the how it was woven.

For pure passion.... Body Heat...I remember I spent $80.00 on a vintage soundtrack album about 15 years later...for years I was obsessed with William Hurt.

Lorenzo's Oil and Shawshank Redemption...I would want to watch both of these again. To me they were excellent screenplays...these films are flawless.

Comment

Brad, been wanting to tell you ... I CAN'T get into Matrix Revolutions. I've tried a few times and lose interest. What do you think the difference is? I know we talked about how in the first one, we're watching the story unfold with Neo, and the second one was just as exciting. I may try again this weekend, but I wanted you to know that I still hadn't watched the whole thing yet.

Piela, yes, To Kill a Mockingbird I believe is the perfect movie ... and the book puts GWTW to shame. [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I want them to remake Mockingbird. I love it but--I read the book again recently, and then watched the movie, and I think there's a lot of amazing stuff that got left out.

Example: remember Miss Maudie in the book? A woman way, way ahead of her time. Independent, smart, funny, quirky--in the film she's just a nice lady who happens to be a neighbor.

Of course, it's hard to imagine anybody replacing Gregory Peck . . . any ideas?

Comment

Kate, finding a replacement for Peck in TKAM would be like trying to find one for Gable in GWTW.

Johnny Depp maybe? That harnassed intensity and passion? Those penetrating dark brown eyes?

Wonder if Richard Gere could pull it off. Hmmm.

Gotta think some more about this one.

Comment

Originally posted by martha2:

Brad, been wanting to tell you ... I CAN'T get into Matrix Revolutions. I've tried a few times and lose interest. What do you think the difference is? I know we talked about how in the first one, we're watching the story unfold with Neo, and the second one was just as exciting. I may try again this weekend, but I wanted you to know that I still hadn't watched the whole thing yet...
                                The main thing is that in Revolutions, you learn that Neo and Smith are opposites. Smith is Neo's negative as a result of the equation trying to balance itself.

(Remember what the Architect said to Neo in Reloaded about how the Matrix was a harmony of mathematical precision and that Neo's life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the Matrix.)

The Oracle tells Neo that the fate of both worlds will lie in either his hands or in Smith's. Smith believes that the purpose of all life is to end it, in and out of the Matrix and he will stop at nothing to accomplish this.

In the process, Neo makes a deal for peace with the machines when he gets to the source (the Machine City.) Neo realizes that the only way to stop Smith from destroying the Matrix and everyone plugged into it is to sacrifice himself. When Neo is copied into Smith this allows the machines destroy Smith and every copy of him as well, thus saving the Matrix and stopping the war which saves Zion as well. In the end the Matrix was "reloaded" or rebooted to the next version in which anyone in it who wants out will be freed. Neo has done what no one prior to him has done before.

Looking between the lines...If the Matrix is destroyed (which we all think is going to happen...Then what happens to everyone that is still plugged in?) There are billions of people. Some don't like this ending, but I can't end any other way without the human race being destroyed. I hope this helps. [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X