Netflix or Blockbuster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
    I love my Roku, and it now streams movies in HD if you want (720p). Soon it'll work with Amazon's On Demand service as well, and "more to come." Netflix's partnership with Starz really improved their choices of movies to watch instantly, too.
    I did not know about the partnership with Starz, and this will make the Roku Player even more appealing. It looks like we will have to pay to watch content from Amazon On Demand service. I have heard good reports and some that are not so good when it comes to streaming from your router to the Roku Player. The issue may be buffering. If you are hardwired, then all should be good.
    Last edited by PN; 2 Feb 2009, 9:13 PM.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by PN View Post
      I have heard good reports and some that are not so good when it comes to streaming from your router to the Roku Player. The issue may be buffering. If you are hardwired, then all should be good.
      I'm not sure, but I connect to my router wirelessly and rarely have problems. The quality and speed are better/more consistent with my Roku player compared to using my computer. But connecting wirelessly on my Mac may be why I have trouble getting a "High" quality download speed despite my generally 10k dload speed I get. The Starz movies can be seen on your computer as well, btw.

Comment

I thought about getting the box. I just started my Netflix subscription this week.

Do you have to have a landline to use the box? I only have my cell phone and my broadband card through Verizon.

I watched a couple of the on demand ones this weekend through my laptop and I love that feature.

Heath I am upping mine to three movies at a time. I am really pleased with Netflix.
        T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

very satisfied w/netflix for about three years. Besides good service they stay innovative w/ their site and continuously offering more features. Good reviews, movie suggestions based on how you rated movies viewed, tastes & preferences.

Comment

Current issue of Consumers Reports (just out) gave Netflix a "Best Buy" over Blockbuster by a pretty wide margin.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
              Do you have to have a landline to use the box? I only have my cell phone and my broadband card through Verizon.
              You need to have broadband cable or dsl and a router (wired or wireless). I don't think your broadband card will work with the Roku player since the card is inserted into your laptop.

Comment

I just started using Netflix last week, due to the discussions here. I kept getting free trial offers, but always set them aside to look at later.

So far it seems great, the movies seem to take a day in the mail each way, and it is easy to pick movies to come next. I like way it offers suggestions and ratings based on the ratings you give movies. We have also watch a couple instantly on the computer, the quality was great.

Now I wonder why we didn;t do this before! The monthly fee is certainly less than we were paying in rental fees over a month.
                T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

I haven't tried netflix, but been following this thread over the past few weeks. The Roku player sounds really intriguing. What titles are available via Roku? Is it the same titles as netflix online?

How does the selection compared to Apple TV or cable PPV / VOD offerings?
                  Daniel

Comment

my fam uses blockbuster, love it.
                    Bike-on.com rep
                    John@bike-on.com
                    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I think I have decided to go with Netflix and try it out. My sister will not come to a conclusion so I think I am going with the cheapest unlimited package and see how the ole budget handles it. We will see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_nc View Post
                        I haven't tried netflix, but been following this thread over the past few weeks. The Roku player sounds really intriguing. What titles are available via Roku? Is it the same titles as netflix online?

How does the selection compared to Apple TV or cable PPV / VOD offerings?
                        The same as the "Watch Instantly" selection online. You add movies to your Intant Queue on the Netflix website and the Roku player displays your Instant Queue so you can choose what to watch. It's a better selection than the free on-demand movies available on Comcast, especially in the documentaries and TV shows.

Comment

I have been using the Roku player for the past two weeks. The player is about the size of an external hard drive and it sits on top of my TV. It is a straightforward setup but if you have any problems they do offer free technical support.
                          The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                          --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                          ––Paul Nussbaum
                          usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                          X