No announcement yet.

Any Classical Music Fans/musicians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard - I have had my eye on the history of human language but haven't gotten it. That is cool that you did the 32 beeth piano sonatas - that really opened my eyes.
    Non musical courses I did: US History, Modern European History, Great Ideas in Philosophy , buddhism (not good), greek tragedies, homer iliad, virgil aeniad. I studied science and pre med in college and missed out on a real education, so I am trying to get a liberal arts education now that I am 'down' with SCI.
    We should make this a separate thread to talk more and possibly get others to get 'hooked' on Teach12. I think a lot of folks here would dig it. Beats watching sitcoms !

Comment

As a child, I recall my mom listening to classical music. It many times soothes my soul/spirit and takes me back to that time. I recall one time when we went to a city on the other side of the border in Mexico. We were passing a plaza and there were a lot people gathered. Apparently something was being awaited on. Sure enough, I saw a dark limo arrive and then a most amazing looking man came out of it. As the door opened, they began to play Ravel's Bolero. Wow! I was hypnotized by the music and what took place then. They had a sort of glass room close to the kiosk. He was to be locked into that room and stay for certain number of days without eating, drinking or getting out of there. I can't recall the number of days since I was a little child. It all impressed me so much that I have written a poem about it. Everytime I hear Bolero, my mind goes back to that day. Going back in time now as I listen to this again.

Btw, later on I heard my mom saying that he would do this throughout many other cities in Mexico. Also she said that he later died after one of them. I guess it was too much to ask from his body.

Raven
      Last edited by Raven; 29 Dec 2008, 3:50 PM.
      Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
      but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Comment

Raven, that reminds me of Franz Kafka's short story "The Hunger Artist," but that was supposed to be bizarre fiction!
        - Richard

Comment

Originally posted by rfbdorf View Post
          Raven, that reminds me of Franz Kafka's short story "The Hunger Artist," but that was supposed to be bizarre fiction!
          - Richard
          Incredible eh? I never read that story, I'm sorry to say Richard. Now I want to read it though. This though was a true event. It impressed me so much that I can still remember the man's name. I think he was of Indian descent. His name was Faquier Saroq or something that sounds like that. He was a very impressive looking man. As I said, I never forgot him, the music and my feelings for it all.

Raven

Edited to add: This gentleman had a box where people would drop money for him, i saw some people put coins on that occasion. I think he did this to support himself. Sad that it ended this way.
          Last edited by Raven; 29 Dec 2008, 4:24 PM.
          Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
          but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Comment

Raven -

What an image Bolero conjures for you! Isn't it amazing how just a few notes of a melody can bring back such vivid memories? Just like a smell can sometimes bring you back in an instant to your mother baking your favorite desert in the kitchen during childhood.....

If you appreciate Bolero, and quirky things, then one day you should rent the unusual movie Allegro non Troppo - an Italian movie (from the ?70's). When I hear Bolero, I immediately return to this movie. It is an Italian "Fantasia", of sorts. You begin observing a somewhat dysfunctional Italian orchestra, warming up before a rehearsal. Seated beside them is a gentleman with a large pad of paper. Finally, when they all quiet down, the music starts and the cartoonist begins to draw. What follows are a series of classical pieces - all wonderful - and the "cartoons" that spring from the music. "Bolero" begins with the primordial soup and shows the birth of life and evolution of man over time........

I must rent that movie again.

Richard - my father is also a huge fan of those courses, although he has focused on the sciences (biology/biology of human behavior/human biology - how we heal), statistics and a few scattered history ones.

Arndog -

Beethoven, Opus 132.

sigh.....

The 3rd movement is one of the greatest movements in all of chamber music and is the heart of Opus 132. What a lovely old recording you found. My string quartet was taught the piece by my Hungarian violin teacher, so the Budapest String Quartet's interpretation was familiar in some ways!

But no - you cannot use the slow movement for your funeral, because it represents the essence of recovery/hope/life! It is the perfect music to listen to during a tumultuous time, so I am happy you found it. Beethoven himself gave it a special title, which roughly translated is "a hymn of thanksgiving from a convalescent" to God..... He is thankful because while composing Op. 132 when became quite ill and there was a thought he might die. This turmoil is represented in the 1st movement. And as he recovered, then came the 3rd movement..... surviving, giving thanks, feeling new strength. A simplistic interpretation, but lovely nonetheless.

I have been partial to the Cavatina from Op. 130 for my funeral, I must admit.

Glenn Gould's recordings of the Goldberg variations are stunningly different, and both spectacular. When I listen to his early breakthrough recording, I am awed by his technique and perfection. When I listen to his later performance, I am hit with a brick in the first measure, as we stagger so slowly through the theme. Can it work? Yes.... and it is a wonderful torture. He was a tortured genius, wasn't he.

I hope you can enjoy more concerts at the chamber music festival. It sounds wonderful, and you saw a great assortment of pieces last night. Yes, I know the Ravel piano trio well, having performed it many years ago, as well as the Brahms piano quartet in A major. However, my favorite Brahms is the piano quartet in g minor. Perhaps I will go listen to it now...

Comment

Originally posted by arndog View Post
              While I was recovering from this last spine surgery this spring and I was in bed a lot, I did an internet, ipod lecture series on Beethoven's 32 piano sonatas - the group of them span his whole career and are a window into his creativity, the piano was his music laboratory.
              Is there a way for me to access this?
              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                Is there a way for me to access this?
                The lectures are sold here: http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/CourseDe....aspx?cid=7250
                But I wouldn't pay that much - they will for sure be on sale for much, much less at some time in the year (I have never paid full price for any lectures, always wait for their sales). When you buy the course via a download (as I did), you affirm that you will use it for yourself only, and not copy it to others. If it were purchased in DVD, CD or audiotape format, I don't suppose there would be a problem with sending someone the medium.
                - Richard

Comment

lynnifer - only buy courses that are on sale. All courses go on sale during the year. I just look at the 'on sale' section. If you call the teach12.com people they are helpful.

Raven - the movie 'Ten' almost spoiled that piece(Bolero). But it really is good and that video adds the pyrotechnics that is , well, missing in boring classical music. But if you like Ravel, check out his piano concerto with Argerich, I think it is on youtube. Good stuff.

Just got back from the concerts today.
                  Heard Bach violin sonata #1 BVM1001
                  Chopin's - cello sonata
                  Janacek - String Quartet Kreutzer Sonata
                  Mozart - Dissonance quartet
                  dohnanyi piano quintet - totally beautiful. I will get this on iTunes
                  mendelssohn trio - crowd pleaser
                  Great day to hear all that live.
                  Okay,Hlh, So violin , viola, cello ? What do you play?

About op.132 movement 3 being played at my funeral, the music is for those alive to really listen to it. My gift to them. To let them know I felt strongly about this movement and for them to be happy they are alive.. I won't enjoy it then, I probably won't hear it !
                  Last edited by arndog; 30 Dec 2008, 11:24 AM.

Comment

THe last chamber music festival concert was last night.
                    3 stand out pieces
                    Brandenburg concerto #3 - at breakneck speed and joy and accuracy and ecstasy .
                    Shostikovich - Octet - it is on youtube and worth listening too. The 2nd movement is insanity - a self portrait for me sometimes...
                    Smetana - Le Moldeau - it was a piano quintet.
                    Back to listening to the ipod .....

Comment

rfbdorf - are you a fan of Brahm's horn, violin, piano trio? I read in your bio that you are a french horn player.....
                      It is especially beautiful .

Comment

Brahms' trio certainly is a nice piece, and quite playable, but I've always thought it has a feeling of sadness to it - very effective, of course - and the faster movements seem a little empty to me, perhaps because Brahm's romantic sound doesn't seem to fit real well with his use of the natural horn for the piece. I've never really tried to analyze that.
                        It's extremely different from his friend Schumann's exciting concertpiece for 4 horns & orchestra, or the adagio & allegro for horn & piano - both of those strain the limits of playability, particularly the concertpiece, and I always feel a sort of thrill when hearing one particular spot in the concertpiece that requires that the second horn have lips and nerves of steel! Far beyond my range of talent, I'm afraid.
                        - Richard

Comment

I will check out the Schumann pieces. Do you still play?
                          Jon

Comment

Now only in a brass quintet, composed of other engineers. We've been together about 10 years now, meet every Thursday. It's a lot of fun.
                            - Richard

Comment

This is a list of the arguable top 100 chamber pieces of all time. I actually used this list as a tool to start my wonderful listening journey. I wondered if there were any opinions, glaring omissions, mixed up orders - or if someone sees something that I have to listen to right away !
                              1. Quartet for Strings No. 14 in C sharp minor - Ludwig van Beethoven
                              2. Quintet for 2 Violins, Viola and 2 Cellos in C major, Op. 163 - Franz Schubert
                              3. Quintet for Clarinet and Strings in A major - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                              4. Quintet for Clarinet and Strings in B minor, Op. 115 - Johannes Brahms
                              5. String Quartet No. 14 in D minor "Death and the Maiden" - Franz Schubert
                              6. Piano Quintet in A major "Trout" - Franz Schubert
                              7. String Quartet No. 13 in B flat major and Grosse Fugue - Ludwig van Beethoven
                              8. Piano Quintet in F minor, Op. 34 - Johannes Brahms
                              9. String Quartet No. 15 in A minor - Ludwig van Beethoven
                              10. Quintet for 2 Violins, 2 Violas and Cello in G minor, K 516 - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                              11. Quartet for Strings No. 12 in F major "American" - Antonín Dvorák
                              12. String Quartet No. 19 in C major "Dissonance" - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                              13. Piano Trio No. 7 in B flat major, Op. 97 "Archduke" - Ludwig van Beethoven
                              14. String Quartet No. 2 in D major "Nocturne" - Alexander Borodin
                              15. Octet for Strings in E flat major - Felix Mendelssohn
                              16. String Quartet in C major, Op. 76 No. 3 "Emperor" - Joseph Haydn
                              17. Piano Quintet in E flat major - Robert Schumann
                              18. Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, Op. 25 - Johannes Brahms
                              19. Piano Trio No. 1 in B flat major - Franz Schubert
                              20. String Quartet No. 16 in F major - Ludwig van Beethoven
                              21. Piano Trio No. 2 in E flat major - Franz Schubert
                              22. String Quartet No. 4 in C major - Béla Bartók
                              23. Quintet for 2 Violins, 2 Violas and Cello in C major, K 515 - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                              24. String Quartet No. 8 in C minor, Op. 110 - Dmitri Shostakovitch
                              25. String Quartet in B flat major, Op. 76 No. 4 "Sunrise" - Joseph Haydn
                              26. String Quartet in D minor, Op. 76 No. 2 "Quinten" - Joseph Haydn
                              27. String Quartet No. 17 in B flat major "Hunt" - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                              28. String Quartet No. 9 in C major "Hero" - Ludwig van Beethoven
                              29. String Quartet No. 8 in E minor - Ludwig van Beethoven
                              30. String Quartet No. 7 in F major - Ludwig van Beethoven
                              31. String Quartet in F major - Maurice Ravel
                              32. Quatuor pour la fin du temps - Olivier Messiaen
                              33. String Quartet No. 13 in A minor "Rosamunde" - Franz Schubert
                              34. String Quartet in G minor - Claude Debussy
                              35. Trio for Clarinet, Cello and Piano in A minor, Op. 114 - Johannes Brahms
                              36. Verklärte Nacht for String Sextet, Op. 4 - Arnold Schoenberg
                              37. String Quartet No. 3 in C sharp major - Béla Bartók
                              38. String Quartet No. 1 in E minor "From My Life" - Bedrich Smetana
                              39. Octet for Clarinet, Horn, Bassoon and Strings in F major - Franz Schuber
                              40. Quintet for 2 Violins, 2 Violas and Cello in D major, K 593 - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                              41. Piano Trio No. 4 in E minor "Dumky" - Antonín Dvorák
                              42. Piano Quintet No. 1 in A major, Op. 81 - Antonín Dvorák
                              43. String Quartet No. 2 "Intimate Letters" - Leos Janácek
                              44. String Quartet No. 1 "Kreutzer Sonata" - Leos Janácek
                              45. String Quartet No. 5 in B flat major - Béla Bartók
                              46. String Quartet No. 12 in E flat major, Op. 127 - Ludwig van Beethoven
                              47. String Quartet in D major, Op. 76 No. 5 "Largo" - Joseph Haydn
                              48. Lyric Suite for String Quartet - Alban Berg
                              49. Quartet for Oboe and Strings in F major - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                              50. String Quartet No. 1 in C minor, Op. 51 no. 1 - Johannes Brahms
                              51. Piano Trio No. 1 in D minor - Felix Mendelssohn
                              52. String Quartet No. 1 in D major - Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
                              53. Piano Trio in A minor - Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
                              54. Piano Trio No. 2 in E minor - Dmitri Shostakovich
                              55. Introduction and Allegro for Harp, Flute, Clarinet and String Quartet - Maurice Ravel
                              56. String Quartet No. 6 in D major - Béla Bartók
                              57. Five Movements for String Quartet - Anton Webern
                              58. Quintet for Piano and Winds in E flat major - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                              59. Piano Quartet No. 2 in A major, Op. 26 - Johannes Brahms
                              60. Octet for Wind Instruments - Igor Stravinsky
                              61. String Quartet No. 18 in A major - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                              62. String Quartet No. 15 in D minor - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                              63. Piano Quartet No. 1 in C minor - Gabriel Fauré
                              64. Divertimento for String Trio in E flat major - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                              65. String Quartet in F major, Op. 77 no. 2 - Joseph Haydn
                              66. Piano Trio No. 1 in D minor - Anton Arensky
                              67. String Quartet No. 14 in G major - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                              68. String Quartet in D major, Op. 20 no. 4 - Joseph Haydn
                              69. Piano Trio in A minor - Maurice Ravel
                              70. Italian Serenade in G major - Hugo Wolf
                              71. String Quartet No. 12 in C minor "Quartettsatz" - Franz Schubert
                              72. String Quartet No. 2 in A minor - Béla Bartók
                              73. String Quartet No. 15 in G major - Franz Schubert
                              74. String Quartet No. 14 in A flat major - Antonin Dvorák
                              75. Trio for Horn, Violin and Piano in E flat major, Op. 40 - Johannes Brahms
                              76. Sextet for Piano and Winds - Francis Poulenc
                              77. String Quartet No. 1 in A minor - Béla Bartók
                              78. String Trio - Arnold Schoenberg
                              79. String Quartet No. 2 - Elliott Carter
                              80. String Quartet in E flat major, Op. 33 No. 2 "The Joke" - Joseph Haydn
                              81. String Sextet No. 2 in G major "Agathe" - Johannes Brahms
                              82. Piano Quartet in E flat major - Robert Schumann
                              83. Trois Pieces Breves for Woodwind Quintet - Jacques Ibert
                              84. Piano Trio No. 2 in C minor - Felix Mendelssohn
                              805. Piano Trio No. 3 in C minor, Op. 101 - Johannes Brahms
                              86. Quintet for 2 Violins, 2 Violas and Cello No. 2 in G major, Op. 111 - Johannes Brahms
                              87. String Quartet in D major, Op. 64 no. 5 "Lark" - Joseph Haydn
                              88. Sonata for Flute, Viola and Harp - Claude Debussy
                              89. Piano Quintet - Dmitri Shostakovich
                              90. Piano Quintet in F minor - Cesar Franc
                              91. String Quartet No. 3 - Elliott Carter
                              92. Six Bagatelles for String Quartet - Anton Webern
                              93. Clarinet Quintet in B flat major - Carl Maria von Weber
                              94. Piano Trio No. 4 in D major "Ghost" - Ludwig van Beethoven
                              95. Piano Quartet No. 3 in C minor, Op. 60 - Johannes Brahms
                              96. String Quartet No. 16 in E flat major - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                              97. Kleine Kammermusik for Wind Quintet - Paul Hindemith
                              98. String Quartet No. 3 in B flat major, Op. 67 - Johannes Brahms
                              99. Woodwind Quintet - Carl Nielsen
                              100. Quintet for 2 Violins, Viola and 2 Cellos in E major, Op. 13 No. 5 - Luigi Boccherini
                              101. Keyboard Trio in G major, Op. 73 No. 2 "Gypsy" - Joseph Haydn
                              102. Septet in E flat major - Ludwig van Beethoven
                              103. Piano Trio in D minor - Robert Schumann
                              104. String Quartet No. 10 in E flat major - Antonin Dvorák
                              105. Quintet for 2 Violins, 2 Violas and Cello No. 1 in F major, Op. 88 - Johannes Brahms
                              106. Woodwind Quintet in G minor, Op. 56 No.2 - Franz Danzi
                              107. String Quartet No. 2 - Arnold Schoenberg
                              108. Piano Trio No. 2 in C major, Op. 87 - Johannes Brahms
                              109. String Quartet No. 1 in B minor - Sergei Prokofiev
                              110. String Quartet No. 2 in C major - Benjamin Britten
                              111. String Quartet No. 11 in F minor "Serioso" - Ludwig van Beethoven
                              112. String Quartet No. 10 - Dmitri Shostakovich
                              113. String Quartet No. 3 in D major, Op. 44 No. 1 - Felix Mendelssohn
                              114. Piano Quartet No. 2 in E flat major, K493 - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                              115. String Quartet No. 6 in B flat major "La Malinconia" - Ludwig van Beethoven
                              116. String Quartet in D minor "Voces Intimae" - Jean Sibelius
                              117. String Quartet In G minor, Op. 74 No. 3 "Reiterquartett" - Joseph Haydn
                              118. Quintet for 2 Violins, 2 Violas and Cello in F major - Anton Bruckner
                              119. String Quartet in E minor - Giuseppe Verdi
                              120. String Quartet in G minor - Edvard Grieg

Comment

The Trout quintet would be my desert island disk. But I'm surprised to not see Dvorak's Serenade for Winds in the huge list.
                                - Richard

Comment

Working...
                                X