Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelchair cushions

Hey everyone!
    I wanted to let you know that we have come across several cushions that we do not have a use for. Knowing that these are expensive, yet VERY important items, we are looking for a good home for them.

Roho Hi Profile 18” x 18” (10 x 10 cells) w/cover
    Roho Hi Profile 16” x 16” (9 x 9 cells) w/cover
    Roho Low Profile 16” x 18” (9 x 10 cells) no cover

Please let me know if you are interested....

Michele Brock
    mbrock@sci-step.com
    www.sci-step.com
    Last edited by michele b; 22 Aug 2007, 10:34 AM.

I would love the 16x16 roho hi! are you selling them?

Comment

Selling or donating? If you are donating, I have a friend in Brazil who can distribute these to people in Brazil with SCI who are unable to get good cushions like these. I can arrange shipping.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Just saw this and emailed you about the 16x16's
        John

Originally posted by michele b
        Hey everyone!
        I wanted to let you know that we have come across several cushions that we do not have a use for. Knowing that these are expensive, yet VERY important items, we are looking for a good home for them.

Roho Hi Profile 18” x 18” (10 x 10 cells) w/cover
        Roho Hi Profile 16” x 16” (9 x 9 cells) w/cover
        Roho Low Profile 16” x 18” (9 x 10 cells) no cover
        Star Hi Profile 16” x 16” (9 x 9 cells) no cover

Please let me know if you are interested....

Michele Brock
        mbrock@sci-step.com
        www.sci-step.com

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

I'm interested in the 18x18 one. Do you still have it?

Jessie

Comment

Yes, we still have one 18x18 left!

Comment

Hey Michele,
              I received my cushion yesterday. Fits the chair great. I put it inside a pillowcase, been using them on rohos for years, set the inflation level and used it all day, no problems.
              Love it, seems to be a different, tougher material than rohos, the patches are definitely better/stronger than those given by roho.
              I'm tickled pink, nice to be using a cushion that doesn't have patches and is over 5 years old, lol. I made my last trip to the wound care doc yesterday also. The wound is fine, had reabsorbed the fluid and he said no return necessary. I told him a cushion was on the way from you folks and the circumstances, and he said great people. I'll have to agree!
              I sure appreciate your generosity, Anne sent a card and some freebies also. Thanks to you both VERY much,
              John

Comment

John,
                Our pleasure! We are glad that you could benefit from it!
                Keep in touch!
                Michele

Comment

Originally posted by CapnGimp
                  Hey Michele,
                  I received my cushion yesterday. Fits the chair great. I put it inside a pillowcase, been using them on rohos for years, set the inflation level and used it all day, no problems.
                  John, I hope that's a stretchy pillowcase?

Comment

Noper, it's a regular cotton one. The idea for me is to PREVENT stretch- so it doesn't rub my wheels. I started using pillowcases years ago. They keep out the sawdust and metal shavings from all the junk I do. You can machine wash them with no worries, etc. Just plain old tougher. And they are cheap at wally whirled, not 40 bucks and last forever, lol.
                    I have found that a king size works best, you tuck the excess inside at the bottom neatly and it overlaps the edges enough to 'lock' the cover so it doesn't allow the cushion to slide out and over expand, causing you to bottom out.
                    I DID buy zippers a few years ago to cut the cases and sew zippers on the back side so I would not have to worry about all that tucking and checking after a transfer and throughout the day, but I have never got around to it. I DO plan on taking it to someone with a sewing machine in a week or so, and getting them altered. It gets old worrying about the tuck slipping some and allowing bottom-out.
                    I know your concern is primarily about safety related stretch. I have NEVER had a problem with them in that respect. I was reluctant to try it at first. I started with t-shirts at the beach when I tore my roho cover. They worked fine except the arm holes allowed pop out and I had to over inflate to compensate, to prevent bottom-out. Then I used stretchy tie-dye cases I had at home for a while....bottom-out became a problem. So I op-checked the cotton cases for a few hours one day, coming inside and admiring my non-existant butt, over increasing amounts of time... no problemo. So I KNOW it works, since about 2002. It is nice to change up the color-design occasionaly, I'm SUCH a fashion ho
                    Just adjust them the regular way, about3/4 to 1 inch clearance under your lowest point.

Hey, did you see Nacho Libre? These are my recreation clothes(stretchy pants)

Comment

Gotcha, Capn. I'm still worried about your bum. Ever seen or tried the pillow cases made from jersey/t-shirt cotton material? Might be too stretchy for you though.

Comment

That stretchy tie dye case was a like what you are talking about. I had a tie dye set for my bed I bought at wally whirled a few years back. Really soft and stretchy. I used it for quite a while but it didn't hold up to the sawdust and metal shavings. Plus, I had splash guards on that chair so they forced the cushion to hold shape.
                        I don't have them on this chair so stretchy doesn't work. Trust me, if there was any danger, I wouldn't be using them, lol. I was known as "the man with two butts" , long enough Been at the pillow cases for a few years.
                        I tell ya Russ, being a vegan CHANGED my skin. I don't even worry about pressure sores anymore. I would not have had that mess except for my mistake. Even when I got it, and knew it was getting worse, I hated to go to a doctor. That was my fault.
                        Even when this cushion went flat on me a few weeks ago, I rode around for hours before I realized it. I was scared and hit the doc as soon as I found out it had a bit of fluid under the skin. In two weeks it was reabsorbed.
                        A very good diet healed the wounds I had on my ankles for two years, in the beginning, when nothing else would. There is a LOT I could say about avoiding animal products in your diet, but I have talked to a wall for years, lol. I gave up.
                        The ol' non-existant butt is hanging in there. I'll stick with my roho/Star cushions, I'll just be a tad more vigilant watching for leaks. I have a leather apron to drape over my lap when working, I just rarely pull it out unless I'll be at it for a while. I am gonna have to change that attitude too.
                        You still immerse in the cushions and they don't so much as HINT at a red spot.

Comment

That's cool, John. I see what you're saying about the t-shirt material not holding up in those circumstances. Yeah, you should be careful working around metal shavings! I used one of those aprons when welding in a sculpture class in college (oxy-acetylene [sp?]). I was scared something would hit my Roho. Yikes!

I don't think I could go vegan. Though, if I felt I absolutely had to, I imagine I could do a lot of things I don't want to do. Anyway, I'm curious, where do you get all the protein you need in your diet?

Comment

Hi Michele,
                            I am a T4 Para and could use the Roho Hi Profile 18” x 18” (10 x 10 cells) w/cover if you still have it. Please let me know if you do.
                            Thanks,
                            Brad Brown
                            New Palestine, IN
                            "If everything is under control, you are going too slow." - Mario Andretti

Comment

A diet high in protein is a BAD thing! If you want to be HEALTHY, avoid it. You get plently of all nine essential amino acids from plants sources. Vegetables, nuts, grains, seeds, all have the necessary 9 in varying amounts. As long as you eat a varied and balanced diet you will NEVER have a problem. Even in my peak year handcycling where I was riding 450 to 650 miles per month, I never supplemented with anything.
                              That high protein myth is causing osteoporosis and renal problems throughout the western world. Back in the 70s and 80s all you heard about was the athletes who ate copious amounts of meat and eggs to "support" their hard workouts. Look at them now.
                              Russ, if you want to read an eye-opening book, a decades long study of diet and it's effect, read "The China Study". Science at it's best.

Rice, beans, spinach are and have been a steady in my diet since I was a kid. I eat a variety of vegetables and nuts and seeds at different times throughout the week. I have never had a protein problem. The wound doc only had to see one round of blood tests initially to alleviate his fears. He has repeatedly said I am the healthiest person he knows of, including his staff, lol. One of them, a nurse about 10 years my junior, is also a road bike rider but not a vegetarian nor vegan. She always balks at my mileage reports and said she is envious of my ability to go long distance riding on two small meals per day on a regular, sustained basis.
                              Your body can adapt to a healthy diet fast. It's the mind and taste buds that have to be taught. After my first two years of paralysis, with two years of pressure sores on my rear and ankles, constant constipation problems, nearly continuos uti's, stones, high pain levels and the associated very bad temper, I knew what had to be done. I knew what a vegan diet would do from past experience years before, so I switched lock, stock and barrel overnight. Gave up smoking, drinking and drugs. Within a month I was healed up and feeling a LOT better. I don't do doctors anymore, except for emergencies. As I have told the story a few times, I won't go into it again, but that pressure sore nightmare was a result a combination of my mistake of sitting 24 hours without a cushion on a new- untried couch and my stupidity of NOT going to a wound care doc when I saw it progressing to a stage 2 then 3 then infected with necrotic tissue type wound. Did I tell you I don't like going to doctor's? I learned to sew myself up years ago, lol.
                              Anyway buddy, if you want to do your body good, check out that book, it is a REAL eye opener. BTW, I just read it last year, I already knew these things since the mid-80s, another story.
                              John
                              ( I HAVE no short answers )

Comment

Working...
                              X