Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanted: Small Tilite Sideguards

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wanted: Small Tilite Sideguards

    Anyone has an extra set of Tilite small sideguards with hardware kicking around? Or anywhere you can get some for a reasonable price?

    Thx!

    #2
    Did u check out sportaid.com?
    I have more to claim.
    I have to fight through the hard places
    to go and get it!

    most recent video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLEinnhYtg

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by drew82586 View Post
      Did u check out sportaid.com?
      I did thanks! It's pretty much my only bet (even though the hardware costs as much as the things + add int'l shipping), mark ups here are pretty silly. Bike-on or spinlife don't seem to have them. I was just wondering if maybe I hadn't missed something cheaper?

      Comment


        #4
        Anyone? By reasonable price, I meant I can't really justify 210+ shipping right now.

        I'm trying to minimize this below (well ok it won't make much of a difference but it may save my clothes a little). Or anyway to DYI hardware? Any ideas welcome!

        (sorry for the massive pic!)

        Comment


          #5
          Wow, $210...

          I think that the DIY approach is definitely possible and shouldn't be too much work.

          I found this post where someone cut his own sideguards out of aluminum sign sheet. If you don't need too much rigidity, then ABS sheet would work great and you can get it at Amazon or a lot of other places on the web:

          http://www.amazon.com/ABS-Textured-P.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

          Then you can cut it to shape more easily than the aluminum sheet using a handsaw. One of those Japanese pull saws work good on ABS. Also you can score ABS and break it for straight cuts.

          The trickier part might be the adapter that holds the side guard to the frame. You could use something like a pipe strap like this:

          http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...m_campaign=rkg

          Then affix bolts through the material and the holes in that kind of clamp and the clamp around the tubing of the frame of the wheelchair. You could wrap the frame tubing with bicycle inner tube cuts if the clamp slips on the frame tube.

          You also might want to look for sideguard assemblies for other wheelchairs. For instance, here's cheaper sideguards with the clamping adapter for a Quickie Q7 for $50ish for each side:

          http://www.caremedicalsource.com/Bra...le-Side-Guards

          The Quickie Q7 round tubing the frame is made out of it 1 1/4" diameter and I'm not sure what the diameter of the tubing of your frame is. You'll need to make sure it's the same for it to work.

          Comment


            #6
            Go on search engine BING and type under IMAGE side gaurds, they are much cheaper thand sport aide..
            life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

            Comment


              #7
              caremedicalsource.com have tilite sideguards cheap!
              life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by eliotk View Post
                You also might want to look for sideguard assemblies for other wheelchairs. For instance, here's cheaper sideguards with the clamping adapter for a Quickie Q7 for $50ish for each side:

                http://www.caremedicalsource.com/Bra...le-Side-Guards

                The Quickie Q7 round tubing the frame is made out of it 1 1/4" diameter and I'm not sure what the diameter of the tubing of your frame is. You'll need to make sure it's the same for it to work.
                The Q7 doesn't have round tubing, it has oval tubing so I wouldn't try using anything from a Q7 for a non Q7 chair.

                Here's a thread about making abs side guards: /forum/showthread.php?t=118716
                Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

                I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Ah good call ~Lin, I didn't realize that. And that's a great thread you posted.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Donating a Quickie 2 to be refurbished that have those things. Would those work? The chair belonged to my brother who recently passed. I put all his older chairs together & I never knew that is what those "things" were!!

                    Let me know as it cannot be too difficult to take them off...I actually changed the inner tube to the wheel by watching a You Tube video so anything has to be easier than that!!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by eliotk View Post
                      Wow, $210...

                      I think that the DIY approach is definitely possible and shouldn't be too much work.

                      I found this post where someone cut his own sideguards out of aluminum sign sheet. If you don't need too much rigidity, then ABS sheet would work great and you can get it at Amazon or a lot of other places on the web:

                      http://www.amazon.com/ABS-Textured-P.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

                      Then you can cut it to shape more easily than the aluminum sheet using a handsaw. One of those Japanese pull saws work good on ABS. Also you can score ABS and break it for straight cuts.

                      The trickier part might be the adapter that holds the side guard to the frame. You could use something like a pipe strap like this:

                      http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...m_campaign=rkg

                      Then affix bolts through the material and the holes in that kind of clamp and the clamp around the tubing of the frame of the wheelchair. You could wrap the frame tubing with bicycle inner tube cuts if the clamp slips on the frame tube.

                      You also might want to look for sideguard assemblies for other wheelchairs. For instance, here's cheaper sideguards with the clamping adapter for a Quickie Q7 for $50ish for each side:

                      http://www.caremedicalsource.com/Bra...le-Side-Guards

                      The Quickie Q7 round tubing the frame is made out of it 1 1/4" diameter and I'm not sure what the diameter of the tubing of your frame is. You'll need to make sure it's the same for it to work.
                      Cool! Thx for the tips. I think I got the sideguard idea down, as for the hardware??? I'm the kind of person that would probably try to zip-tie it on. Erm. I'll look around at the hardware store and see what works. The sideguard from Ti-Lite themselves are around 100$, but the hardware costs just as much.

                      Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
                      The Q7 doesn't have round tubing, it has oval tubing so I wouldn't try using anything from a Q7 for a non Q7 chair.

                      Here's a thread about making abs side guards: /forum/showthread.php?t=118716
                      Good catch, thanks! What about the Quickie below? I know it's round, but as for the diameter?? I have a Tilite YR (youth version of TR).

                      Originally posted by papito1 View Post
                      caremedicalsource.com have tilite sideguards cheap!
                      Checking it out!

                      Originally posted by McStargazer View Post
                      Donating a Quickie 2 to be refurbished that have those things. Would those work? The chair belonged to my brother who recently passed. I put all his older chairs together & I never knew that is what those "things" were!!

                      Let me know as it cannot be too difficult to take them off...I actually changed the inner tube to the wheel by watching a You Tube video so anything has to be easier than that!!
                      Sorry to hear about your brother. And thank you, I will look into it see if it would work and let you know! I imagine if you have a basic set of tools (screwdrivers, allen keys), you should be fine, I don't need much for mine.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by twistties View Post
                        Cool! Thx for the tips. I think I got the sideguard idea down, as for the hardware??? I'm the kind of person that would probably try to zip-tie it on. Erm. I'll look around at the hardware store and see what works. The sideguard from Ti-Lite themselves are around 100$, but the hardware costs just as much.
                        Zip-ties would work great too! :-)

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X