Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Judge A Book by It's Cover ... Books YOU are reading or have read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judge A Book by It's Cover ... Books YOU are reading or have read?

Just go to Amazon or Barnes and Noble or wherever and share your favourite book dustjackets have read or are reading. ENJOY the thread...

The Shock Doctrine: the Rise of Disaster Capitalism
    Last edited by wheelchairTITAN; 6 Oct 2007, 10:40 AM.

William

... rolling since 1989

BE NICE!It's free

P.S. ~ I have "handicapabilities"

TWITTER: @MacBerry

Excellent, just finished! I can't figure out why my crazy maternal grandfather moved them from a grren part of KS TO the Dustbowl epicenter, the Panhandle of TX, in the early 1930's! It is appalling that more than weather or bad luck, the Dustbowl was a result of a governmental policy cluster***k. They should call it the Bureau of Land Mismanagement.

From Publishers Weekly
    Starred Review. Egan tells an extraordinary tale in this visceral account of how America's great, grassy plains turned to dust, and how the ferocious plains winds stirred up an endless series of "black blizzards" that were like a biblical plague: "Dust clouds boiled up, ten thousand feet or more in the sky, and rolled like moving mountains" in what became known as the Dust Bowl. But the plague was man-made, as Egan shows: the plains weren't suited to farming, and plowing up the grass to plant wheat, along with a confluence of economic disaster—the Depression—and natural disaster—eight years of drought—resulted in an ecological and human catastrophe that Egan details with stunning specificity. He grounds his tale in portraits of the people who settled the plains: hardy Americans and immigrants desperate for a piece of land to call their own and lured by the lies of promoters who said the ground was arable. Egan's interviews with survivors produce tales of courage and suffering: Hazel Lucas, for instance, dared to give birth in the midst of the blight only to see her baby die of "dust pneumonia" when her lungs clogged with the airborne dirt. With characters who seem to have sprung from a novel by Sinclair Lewis or Steinbeck, and Egan's powerful writing, this account will long remain in readers' minds.
    Blog:
    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

The Mess They Made by Gwynne Dyer

William

... rolling since 1989

BE NICE!It's free

P.S. ~ I have "handicapabilities"

TWITTER: @MacBerry

Comment

Every couple of years I get motivated to read a book. And here it comes October 9th baby yeah!
        www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Jim/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Trying that again....

Comment

Jim, I really enjoyed that book! His first was good, but this one wrenched me as a woman even more. Deb

Comment

And I forgot to add, I just finished "100 Years of Solitude" , whew, what a classic, fantastico!

Comment

Interesting research on a bunch of Americanisms.
                  Daniel

Comment

Somebody out there is reading a Harlequin but not admitting it. C'mon, fess up!
                    Blog:

Comment

Originally posted by betheny
                      Somebody out there is reading a Harlequin but not admitting it. C'mon, fess up!
                      Like this, betheny?

Daniel

Comment

No, thats too complex for a Harlequin romance. They tend to have shirtless men embracing beautiful young women as cover art, and frequently overuse the phrase "heaving bosom".

OMG they're bad. Just formulaic, no imagination at all...
                        Blog:

Comment

The "O" inverted image of Madonna is an awesome piece of art thanks to Steven Meisel and Fabian Baron. This is the mylar jacket to her infamous book SEX.

Comment

This was one of my favorite reads last year and I'm really looking forward to seeing it made into a motion picture.
                            Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by betheny
                              OMG they're bad. Just formulaic, no imagination at all...
                              Well, that depends on how you look at it. There has to be some imagination involved in order to come up with over 2,000 different titles a year. And are you talking about historic romance? Or inspirational romance? Modern? Intrigue? American? Paranormal? Multicultural? Contemporary?

I don't read romance novels (I prefer my erotica to be included in my sci-fi/fantasy), but I find it fascinating how many different categories there are and the fact that some 51.5 million Americans read the stuff. It's a HUGE industry.

C.

Comment

Working...
                              X