Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Judge A Book by It's Cover ... Books YOU are reading or have read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by orangejello View Post
    You might find the video Tough Guise by Jackson Katz interesting. I watched it for a gender studies course last semester. Very well done.

http://www.jacksonkatz.com/video2.html
    I have seen that, one of my favorite documentaries! I actually went to a presentation he had a couple years ago, he's great. I've also read his book The Macho Paradox: Why some men hurt women and how all men can help. Sounds kinda like I'm his #1 fan But thanks for sharing anywys because I think others would find it really interesting!
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Comment

A Fine Balance was a great read.

Originally posted by Emi2 View Post
      Finally halfway through A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, it had been sitting on my shelf for over 5 years....
      The Midewife of Venice is waiting to be read, as it The Balance Within.

Comment

An amazing person to be so full of grace after what she went through.
        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

I'm reading a memoir my daughter picked up at the library called "I'm Down" by Mishna Wolff. She is a white woman with an eccentric father who thought he was black and her odd childhood.
          It isn't great, but some good parts.

Comment

I just finished reading a book Being Nobody, Going Nowhere: Meditations on the Buddhist Path by Ayya Khema (Ilse Ledermann 1923-1997), a German Buddhist nun who escaped Nazi Germany with her Jewish parents. Incredibly, they moved on to Shanghai just in time to be imprisoned by the invading Japanese.

An excellent book on the fundamentals of Buddhism. As the Zen title indicates, she presents basic meditations in a clear, concise method. She's the opposite of Kornfeld in that she manages to get concepts across without the reader having to go over the same paragraph multiple times. She considered meditation as necessary as food or water.

This was a library book, but I'll be buying a copy for my personal library.

Comment

Yesterday I judged a book by its title. I was Browsing Amazon for free Kindle downloads and came across Pride and Prejudice and Zombies; I passed.
              Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

Anyone read any Ginsberg?
                An administrator made me remove my signature.

Comment

Tom, I almost did that to "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter" but took a chance and really enjoyed it.
                  Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                  T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

I am reading "Love in the Time of Cholera." It is one of my favorite books.

Comment

I have read a few more recent books on my Kindle

The Paris Wife:
                      A fictionalized account of life in Paris (primarily) during the 1920s and the "Lost Generation" told from the perspective of Ernest Hemingway's first wife.

(and while on vacation this week on both my iPod and my Kindle):

A Movable Feast:
                      Hemingway's own memoir written about the same time period as the book above...supposedly non-fictionalized. Interesting to see his perspective vs. those in the first book.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand:
                      A comedy of manners...it reminds me a lot of Jane Austin, but in modern times, about a retired British army major, his relationships with his son, and growing relationship with his village's Pakistani shop keeper. A charming story.

Lost in Shangri-La:
                      The true story of a US Army Air Corps plane crash in New Guinea late in WWII and the efforts to rescue the male and female survivors who are stranded in a previously unknown valley with a tribe of primate natives. A fascinating story, but not as well written as I had expected from reviews.

The Confession (John Grishom):
                      A novel about a murder and rape of a teenaged girl in Texas, the wrongful conviction and execution of a black classmate, and the discovery of the true murderer.

The Help: A novel based on the relationships of black maids and their female white employers in early 1960s Jackson, Mississippi. I wanted to see this before the movie comes out in another week or so. I can recommend this one.

(KLD)
                      Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 6 Aug 2011, 7:07 PM.
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Here's a review of a recent Roy Campanella bio.http://articles.latimes.com/2011/apr...nctot-20110403

Comment

I recently finished Shanghai Girls by Lisa See and highly recommend it. Any Lisa See book really. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan was another one of my favs.

Then I read The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. Lovey dovey story that you can expect from Sparks but good anyway. (I'm a girl and love a decent fictional romance given it's not Harlequin.)

Now I am reading Fall of Giants. I was a big fan of Follett's World Without End too, and this book looks like it will keep my interest just as well. Plus I love the feel of a huge heavy book in my hands.
                          If there is light
                          it will find
                          you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

woops. double post.
                            If there is light
                            it will find
                            you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

I looked at Shanghai Girls yesterday, but took "In The Woods" by Tana French instead.
                              Will put it on my list Carrie.

Comment

Finally got around to reading The Hunger Games trilogy. Am unspeakably excited to see the upcoming films.

Yes, I am twelve.

Comment

Working...
                                X