Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Judge A Book by It's Cover ... Books YOU are reading or have read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so into reading Historical romance novels. I have got most of mine through Ebay.
    The ones about Scotland and the Highlands in the times of 1100 to 1800's. The castles and the Lords and Earls. Some books are about the ships going to England and the pirates. I love them. Them big Highlander men always gets his woman. lol
    I have to say that in the boxes of books I have got a ton of Harlequins and I have know idea what to do with them. They are great but I have bigger books to read.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

Comment

Stephen Hawking always a good read

Why God Did Not Create the Universe
      "There is a sound scientific explanation for the making of our world—no gods required"
      By STEPHEN HAWKING And LEONARD MLODINOW
      Excerpt in the Wall Street Journal:
      http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...609024244.html

GJ

Comment

I just read "Out Stealing Horses" by Per Petterson.
        He is a Norwegian author. I've been trying to read this book for quite a while. Since Dave's injury nearly 2 years ago my reading has slowed down.
        I'm very fussy about fiction and this one did not let me down.
        Read "Girl With Dragon Tattoo" a while ago and hope to move on to the other 2.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
          I just read "Out Stealing Horses" by Per Petterson.
          He is a Norwegian author. I've been trying to read this book for quite a while. Since Dave's injury nearly 2 years ago my reading has slowed down.
          I'm very fussy about fiction and this one did not let me down.
          Read "Girl With Dragon Tattoo" a while ago and hope to move on to the other 2.
          Linda, I loved that book! Read it about 3 years ago.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Now I really feel bad because I haven't read it. But at least I had three of them with me in English last year when I came over to visit.
            TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
              Linda, I loved that book! Read it about 3 years ago.

(KLD)
              I have his (Per Petterson) new one "I Curse the River of Time" and hope to start it this week.

Comment

Just picked up Ken Follett's Fall of Giants today and can't wait to start it. Huge fan of Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, so I hope it lived up to those. Even close will be great!

Comment

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.

A Boeing 777 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Eph Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing . . .

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to stop the contagion and save his city--a city that includes his wife and son--before it is too late.

It's not your average vampire story - in fact, it's quite disturbing. Read half of it in one day!
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by woman from Europe View Post
                    Now I really feel bad because I haven't read it. But at least I had three of them with me in English last year when I came over to visit.
                    Thanks Bente! I read it.
                    I also read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and loved it. I am working on The girl who plays with fire now, in between school stuff.
                    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwill79 View Post
                      Just picked up Ken Follett's Fall of Giants today and can't wait to start it. Huge fan of Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, so I hope it lived up to those. Even close will be great!
                      I just picked up the audio version (24 discs) of Fall of the Giants from the library. This book is being lambasted on Amazon, not by people that have actually read the book, but people with Kindles bitching about the cost to them to download it.
                      William M.
                      T 6/7 Complete - 4/20/74

Comment

A couple of recent books I have read and recommend:

Silk
                        This amazing book is not much longer than a short story, but was engrossing! It reads almost like poetry, and is the story of passion, obsession, and desire, focused on a man who travels from France to Japan in the mid-1880s to purchase silk worms for the French silk factories.

Stones into Schools
                        The second book by Greg Mortenson (Three Cups of Tea) about activities by his Central Asia Institute in developing educational programs and schools in northern Afghanistan for women and girls. Nearly as compelling reading as his first book.

(KLD)
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I read Philip Roth's new book titled 'Nemesis' recently and enjoyed it. It is set in N.J. in the 1940's as a polio epidemic rages. Roth is able to skillfully bring in both race and class issues against the overwhelming fear of polio in an age when it was not yet known how it was even spread. The protagonist is a very likeable young Jewish man who is not elligible to fight in the war, as all his friends are doing, because of his poor vision. His angst over being left out of the "great fight" along with later events that add to his overwhelming guilt are central to the story, and the choices that he makes while consumed with guilt will shape the rest of his life.

Comment

I finally finished Jonathan Franzen's latest novel, Freedom, which I have been slowly reading since September, in between all my reading required for school. I enjoyed this book even more than The Corrections, which I didn't expect. I used to wonder if perhaps Franzen was a bit overrated, but after reading this I don't think he is. Can't wait to see what his next book will be--although I suspect he will take another decade before publishing again. This might be the best book I read this year. With the exception of the "Wimpy Kid" diaries, that is

Comment

Not reading per se, but I've been listening to a lot of public domain books from librivox.org during my daily commute. Presently, it's Moby Dick. I had slogged through that book maybe 25 years ago. But I find that listening to it, rather than reading, is much easier, and quite enjoyable. I've been continually amazed at the amount of subtle humor Melville used; I must not have noticed that before.
                              - Richard

Comment

Irrepressible-The Life and Times of Jessica Mittford.
                                A slow read for me, but good.
                                Fun Home-A graphic memoir. Excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                X