CareCure Book Discussion Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CareCure Book Discussion Group

How many of you would be interested in a CareCure book reading and discussion group? We could pick a book a month (possibly by voting on a group of suggested titles) and discuss it in a thread as we progress. What do you think?
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Excellent idea! Count me in.

Comment

I like it!

Comment

I like it. It would motivate me to read more. I used to read loads pre SCI
        C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

Good idea, like it too. Well, as long as we don’t start with the Bible, we could save that one until later if the discussions will not pick up on the other books

Comment

Awesome

Shall we make a list of books to vote on? Plan to start reading in Sept. so everyone can get a copy of the first book we choose? I'm open to almost every type and genre.

Here's a few books I plan on reading soon:

The Prophet - Kahlil Gibran
            Nine-Headed Dragon River - Peter Matthiessen
            Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life - Barbara Kingslover
            The World Without Us - Alan Weisman

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Comment

If Leif's in I'm out. LOL

I'm kidding and in but I don't know that they're be enough follow-through. I tried this with movies and couldn't get even a few people to participate.
              "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
              J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

From what you've listed, I'm most interested in "The Prophet" and "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle."

I love reading so will go with just about anything if it's well-written.

Comment

Originally posted by Juke_spin
                  If Leif's in I'm out. LOL

I'm kidding and in but I don't know that they're be enough follow-through. I tried this with movies and couldn't get even a few people to participate.
                  We could start whit this one; Link

Comment

Originally posted by LaMemChose
                    From what you've listed, I'm most interested in "The Prophet" and "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle."

I love reading so will go with just about anything if it's well-written.
                    I agree and count me in too...

"Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life" is my pick
                    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

does playboy count. great articles.
                      oh well

Comment

I'm glad we have so much interest! So, everyone should propose books, I'll make a list, and we'll vote on them by Monday. Then we all have a week to get the book and start reading. Agreed?

Make your suggestions!

Comment

A review posted on Amazon.com ... there are others there as well. Review authour is Nina Planck.

Attribution for review of "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life" by Barbara and Camille Kingsolver
                          http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Vegetab...7901927&sr=1-1

From Publishers Weekly
                          Starred Review. [Signature]Reviewed by Nina PlanckMichael Pollan is the crack investigator and graceful narrator of the ecology of local food and the toxic logic of industrial agriculture. Now he has a peer. Novelist Kingsolver recounts a year spent eating home-grown food and, if not that, local. Accomplished gardeners, the Kingsolver clan grow a large garden in southern Appalachia and spend summers "putting food by," as the classic kitchen title goes. They make pickles, chutney and mozzarella; they jar tomatoes, braid garlic and stuff turkey sausage. Nine-year-old Lily runs a heritage poultry business, selling eggs and meat. What they don't raise (lamb, beef, apples) comes from local farms. Come winter, they feast on root crops and canned goods, menus slouching toward asparagus. Along the way, the Kingsolver family, having given up industrial meat years before, abandons its vegetarian ways and discovers the pleasures of conscientious carnivory.This field—local food and sustainable agriculture—is crowded with books in increasingly predictable flavors: the earnest manual, diary of an epicure, the environmental battle cry, the accidental gardener. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is all of these, and much smarter. Kingsolver takes the genre to a new literary level; a well-paced narrative and the apparent ease of the beautiful prose makes the pages fly. Her tale is both classy and disarming, substantive and entertaining, earnest and funny.

(May)
                          Nina Planck is the author of Real Food: What to Eat and Why (Bloomsbury USA, 2006).
                          Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
                          As much as I can I am in for this

William

... rolling since 1989

BE NICE!It's free

P.S. ~ I have "handicapabilities"

TWITTER: @MacBerry

Comment

This is a great idea. Try picking a selection that would have the most universal appeal.

Comment

Oh, I'm in. I vote The Prophet. It's on my list of future reads too.
                              If there is light
                              it will find
                              you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                              X